The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 24

We sat in silence for a while, Delia looking at me with worried eyes. I was trying to find the words, but my mind came up empty.

“I guess I’m just going to say this, but please just promise me you won’t overreact.” I pleaded and her face grew more worried.

“Okay.” She agreed. I sighed, looking down at the ground; unable to look her in the eyes as I spoke.

“I’ve been in a secret relationship with Draco Malfoy.” I said it so fast, I wasn’t even sure she’d heard. I looked up and her face said it all.

“Draco Malfoy? The person who has made it his personal mission to make your life a living hell?” her voice started getting louder. “Who stood by while his girlfriend tortured you and physically hurt you? Who could possibly be, and most likely is, a Death Eater and may be responsible for Cedric’s death?” she was practically shouting.

“You said you wouldn’t overreact.” She shook her head.

“I can’t help but overreact when my friend tells me they’ve been doing something so…dumb!” I didn’t say anything, just sat in silence because she was right. It was dumb, and the fact that I kept falling for it meant I was dumb. “Please tell me you’re not still with him. When I’ve seen him in the halls with Pansy.” She spit out her name, her voice full of hatred.

“No.” I paused. “He hasn’t talked to me since the break.” She sighed, leaning back in her chair.

“So tell me, why?” I took in a deep breath, collecting my thoughts.

“At first, I resisted, but he made me feel…special. Then it was all about the thrill of sneaking around and then I guess I started really feeling something for him.” I shrugged.

“And when Cedric died? And Harry told us Draco was a Death Eater?” I didn’t like her judging tone or disapproving eyes.

“I don’t know, Delia. What do you want me to say? That I was stupid to think he could ever care for me? Or that I should’ve known it would end up breaking my heart?” tears fell down my cheeks. I could see tears forming in her eyes and I immediately regretted blowing up at her.

“I’m sorry, Quendie. I just care about you so much and I can’t stand to think of that worm hurting you. He doesn’t deserve you and I wish I could hurt him and his troll.” I laughed, wiping away my tears.

“I love you Delia.” She smiled, standing up.

“I love you, too you crazy girl.” I stood up, hugging her as tightly as I could. “Just promise me you won’t fall for him again.”

“Oh God no. I promise you he won’t ever get to me again.” We laughed together, still embracing one another.

Winter came and passed and I had put Draco out of my mind. It wasn’t hard, though, since I never saw him. Not in the Great Hall, not in Snape’s class, or even in the halls. Delia and I had started training with Harry, Ron, and Hermione and I could feel everyone’s energy building in preparation. We had adopted the name “Dumbledore’s Army” and I wanted to make sure we lived up to the name.

Emergency meeting tonight; I read the letter the disposed of it. I racked my brain for reasons for the meeting, but the only thing I could come up with was stomach churning. Voldemort. Did Harry hear something about him? Was he already on his way? I wasn’t ready! Not to fight Voldemort or his Death Eaters.

My heart was beating rapidly in my chest as I made my way to the Room of Requirement, making sure no one was around as I walked down the halls. Just one more corner and I would be home-free. I stopped in my tracks and stared down the hall at Draco who stared back. I squinted my eyes at him, trying to figure out his next move. I couldn’t go to the room because I couldn’t let him know about it so my only way out was back the way I came. I guess I would have to find out the details from Delia back up in the dormitory.

“What are you doing here?” I jumped, broken out of my thoughts. Draco stood two feet away, his grey eyes hard.

“What? I…” Quick, think of something! “I got lost.” I mentally slapped myself.

“You know it’s after curfew, right?” his face didn’t change.

“Is it? Then I should probably get to bed. Goodnight!” I turned around, ready to run.

“Wait.” He ordered and I sighed, turning around. “Do you know anything about a group called ‘Dumbledore’s Army’?” Wait, he knew about DA? If he knew, did that mean he wanted to join? Come on Quendie, I thought, of course he doesn’t. He’s probably trying to find it for Umbridge. I felt my anger rising and my fists clench at my sides.

“Sorry, no. And even if I did, I sure as hell wouldn’t tell you.” I spat. He was a just a tool for Umbridge and I hated him for it. Something flashed across his face; hurt, pain? He looked past me then behind him then leaned in closer, whispering.

“You better be careful, Quendie.” I stepped back, giving him a confused look.

“Is that a threat?” I asked, ready to defend myself. He sighed in exasperation.

“No.” he ran his hand through his hair. “He knows, Quendie. He knows who your parents are and He’s coming.” My heart dropped and I couldn’t catch my breath. Everything started spinning around me and I lost my balance. I waited for the smack of the floor, but my fall was broken. Draco held me up, one arm around my waist and the other holding my arm.

“I’m dead.” I said aloud, my vision returning to normal. My legs regained their strength and Draco let go. “Well, thank you, but I should get to bed now.” I wouldn’t let the tears fall.

“Quendie,” he paused and a tear fell down my cheek. Crap.

“How did you know?” I asked. He looked confused then shook his head.

“What does it matter?” I felt myself getting stronger as the attention turned to him.

“Just tell me how you knew.” His silence was all I needed. “So I guess we both have secrets.” I needed to leave.

Voldemort knew and he was on his way and Draco was a Death Eater. Why hadn’t he just killed me then? It would’ve been quicker and it would all be done. I huddled under my covers after sneaking into the dormitory, burying my head in my pillow and letting the tears fall. I pretended to be asleep when Delia snuck in and quietly slipped into an uneasy sleep. I just couldn’t stop wondering when it would happen, when it would all end.