The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 18

NORMAL POV

Cedric told me what had happened and all I could say was thank god I had him to rescue me.

In the months leading up to the last task Cedric and I spent as much time as we could together. Any day we had off we would just sit and talk about anything and everything. Two months before the last task, Cedric and I were sitting by the lake. It was warm outside, but not too hot and the sun sparkled on the lake. We sat in silence, staring out at the lake, Cedric’s fingers tracing mine.

“Quendie,” he paused; I looked up at him. “I love you.” My heart skipped a beat and a warmth grew inside me. “I’m so glad I met you and I want you to meet my parents this summer.” I didn’t know what to say. I was the happiest I’d ever been and there were no words to express just how happy I was. So I did the only thing I could think of: I kissed him. I kissed him harder than I ever had before and when we pulled apart, a huge smile was spread across his face.

“I love you, too.” I said finally. It was true and it felt great to say it out loud. Cedric was the most amazing person I’d ever met and I couldn’t wait to meet his family. I couldn’t wait to see what our futures held.

“You’re going to be amazing.” I assured Cedric. We stood on the Quidditch field, the huge maze only feet away. It was the final task and I could tell Cedric was nervous. I had to admit I was feeling uneasy myself. Something in my gut kept telling me there was something wrong, but I had to ignore it and comfort him.

“I don’t know where to even start in this maze.” He glanced over at it with a worried look.

“Cedric,” I grabbed his hand, “start at the beginning and if you get caught at a dead end, just turn around and go back. Don’t worry about the other people or even winning. I’ll love you whether you walk out of that maze with the cup or not.” He smiled, kissing me softly on the cheek.

“Can we have everyone take their seats now?” I sighed, looking back at Cedric one last time before heading to my seat next to Delia.

“How’s he doing?” she asked.

“Nervous, but he’ll be fine. What about Harry?” she shrugged.

“We haven’t talked in a while. He’s been really distant lately.” I scanned the field and the never-ending maze. My stomach tightened. I just wanted Cedric to make it out safe. I didn’t care if he won; I didn’t care who won really.

The task started and the champions made their ways into the maze, each disappearing into the darkness. The thing that made me so nervous was we couldn’t see anything. All we saw were flashes of light as spells were cast and each time exclamations of surprise erupted from the crowd.

It seemed like hours since they entered the maze and all we could do was sit there and wait for someone to emerge. I clung onto Delia’s sleeve, watching for some sign of Cedric. Then, someone finally appeared. Harry and Cedric with the cup had appeared on the ground just outside the entrance. Everyone stood up and cheered, but there was something wrong. All of the teachers swarmed around Cedric and Harry who were still on the ground. I didn’t even think, all I knew was I had to get down to him. I ran down the stairs and jumped over the barrier then pushed my way to Cedric who was laying on the ground, his eyes open and fixed and his skin white. I collapsed next to his body, tears falling onto his shirt. I touched his hand and a cold chill ran up my arm.

He was dead. Cedric was dead. Everyone ushered Harry and I into the castle, bringing Cedric’s body so the school wouldn’t panic. I held onto his hand, the tears streaming down my face.

“What happened Harry?!” someone asked. I sobbed into Cedric’s chest, my heart completely broken. A giant hole opened up inside me and I felt like everything around me was melting away.

“Voldemort. The cup was a portkey and-“

“Nonsense!” someone interrupted.

“Don’t interrupt him, Fudge. Tell us what happened Harry.” Dumbledore urged.

“Voldemort was waiting for us. He killed Cedric and tried to kill me.”

“Then why aren’t you dead!?” I looked up and noticed an equally distraught man standing above me, his features similar to Cedric’s.

“Our wands were too equally matched. Then I saw them, I saw my parents and Cedric, they distracted him while I got away.”

“This sounds like a bunch of hooey.” Fudge said disgusted.

“Are you sure it was him, Harry?” Dumbledore asked, ignoring the rude comment.

“Positive. His death eaters were there, too.”

“This is complete nonsense. Voldemort is dead and he has not come back. Cedric obviously died from a freak accident.” I shook my head, looking back at Cedric.

“If Harry says it’s true, then it is.” I said simply, standing up. “There’s no way Cedric made an error that resulted in his death. He was too smart for that and you all know that. Voldemort is back and instead of standing here we should warn people.” I saw a small smile flicker across Harry’s face, but it disappeared as the ministry officials and the teachers debated on how to handle the situation.

“Why don’t we go to Madam Pomfrey’s?” McGonagall looked down at Harry and I with tears in her eyes. We followed her without saying a word. I didn’t want to leave Cedric, but I knew if I didn’t I would never be able to.

Madam Pomfrey gave me a tea that helped me sleep and treated Harry’s wounds.

“I’m so sorry Quendie.” Harry whispered to me as we laid on our cots.

“I know it wasn’t your fault.” I turned over to face him. We laid in silence until I drifted off into an uneasy sleep.