The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 28

“Wake up you!” someone kicked me in the ribs, knocking all the breath out of me. I gasped for air, noticing Draco wasn’t there anymore. I looked up, Bellatrix smirking down at me. “Get up!” she ordered, getting ready to kick me again. I held up my hand, my other one clutching my ribs and crawled onto my feet. I could taste the metallic hint of blood. She didn’t grab me this time, instead led me up the stairs and into a dining room. I followed, not wanting to be hurt anymore. Draco sat at the table, his eyes looking me up and down, noting the recent injury to my ribs. Bellatrix pulled out the chair next to him, ordering me to sit down. I did and she pushed the chair forward, making the table slam into my already hurt ribs. I pushed the chair back, clutching my ribs as more blood filled my mouth.

She took a seat across from us, her mean eyes staring at me; probably thinking of other ways to hurt me.

Voldemort walked into the room, taking the seat at the head of the table next to Draco.

“Isn’t this nice? Sitting up here instead of that terrible cellar?” He smiled, looking at Draco and I. “School starts soon.” School? I’ve been locked up in that cellar the whole summer? “Draco knows what he has to do, but I’m sorry to say my dear you won’t be making it this year. And it’s too bad because I really do believe education is so important.” I hadn’t even thought of school. I knew I was never going to leave so school hadn’t even crossed my mind. I would’ve given anything to be able to go. “Draco, you can go to your room now.” Draco stood up, giving me one more nervous glance, then left without saying a word. My heart started beating rapidly.

What were they going to do now? More curses? My hands started shaking again as I remembered the pain.

“I have decided, Quendalyne, that since you’ve been so cooperative I will allow you to stay up here.” I couldn’t help but feel a little happy.

I was allowed to sleep in the reading room on the floor. I had no pillow or blanket, but it was at least 10 degrees warmer and the floor wasn’t as hard. I hadn’t seen Draco since the meeting at the table, but I didn’t think too much of it. He didn’t want to get in trouble and neither did I. I got to eat everyday instead of when they remembered and I hadn’t been tortured. Things were starting to look up, well, as far up as they could when I was being held captive.

It was the day before Draco would go off to school. I knew because I could hear the conversations about it. Whatever he was supposed to do was really important to them. I could only imagine what it was. I sat in my corner of the reading room, reading one of the books closet to me in the moonlight. It was hard to see, but well worth the strain. This book was one about house elves and how many uses their blood has. I was on the chapter about poisons when I heard footsteps in the hall. I quickly replaced the book on its shelf and laid on the ground, pretending to be asleep.

The footsteps stopped in the room, not far from me.

“I know you’re not asleep.” I sat up, relieved it was only Draco.

“How did you know?” I asked.

“Your breathing is different when you’re asleep.” I raised an eyebrow, intrigued.

“What do you mean?” he sighed, sitting down next to me.

“Never mind, what were you reading?” I pulled the book back off its shelf.

“The Many Uses For House Elves: Book Four: Blood.” I read the title. “It was the closest one.” I shrugged, replacing it.

“I don’t understand those books. My father buys them, but I’ve never actually seen him read them.” It was quiet. The only sound in the house was the ticking of a clock in the next room.

“Shouldn’t you be in bed? You do have to go to school tomorrow.” It was dark, but I could see his smile. He looked over at the hall then back at me.

“I can’t tell you right now, but I wanted to tell you I’m going to get you out of here.” I didn’t know what to say. Why was he being so nice? Why did he care? Wasn’t it his job to bring me here?

“Wh-why?” he stood up.

“Not now.” Something stirred in the hallway and he left quickly. I laid back on the ground my mind racing. Could he really get me out of here? And why couldn’t he just tell me what his plan was? There was no getting sleep; I was too excited.

Draco went off to school and everyone else seemed to forget about me, but I wasn’t complaining. I stayed in my room, only daring to walk around when I was sure no one was near. They seemed to be excited for something and I knew it was bad.

“Draco knows what he has to do and if he fails again, he’s dead.” I heard Voldemort hiss.

“Do not worry, Dark Lord, Draco will fulfill his duty.” Lucius’ voice was nervous. What did Draco have to do and how was he planning on getting me out of here?

“Mudblood!” I jumped at Bellatrix’s screech. She stomped into the room, narrowing her eyes at me. “You’ve just been put on cleaning duty.” She yanked me up by the arm, leading me to a closet in the hallway. “The house elf is sick.” She opened the closet which was filled with cleaning supplies. “You can start upstairs and you better finish.” With that she walked away. I sighed, picking up a mop and bucket. I guess it was better than sitting in a corner with nothing but horrible books and my thoughts.

I started in the attic which was filled with old pictures and furniture that needed dusting and polishing. I cleaned the small window that looked out on a garden, wishing I could feel the warm sun on my skin. I stopped at a box in the corner, peaking at what was inside. It was pictures; pictures of Draco and his mother and father. Draco as a little boy and even some older people I assumed to be grandparents. They almost looked normal. I closed the box and moved on to the next floor.

I swept the floors, cleaned the windows, and dusted the furniture in all of the bedrooms. The last one at the end of the hall was Draco’s. It was plain, nearly empty. There was a bed and drawers, but not much else. I swept the floor, moving the bed so I could sweep underneath. Under the bed was a piece of paper. I picked it up, reading the writing carefully.

Gold Chain – 2 Galleons, 1 Sickle

Wait, gold chain? I touched the one around my neck. I had never known who sent it to me, but it couldn’t have been Draco. Could it? I pocketed the paper, sweeping under the bed and replacing it quickly. I finished cleaning the rest of the house, finishing before dinner. I put the supplies back in the closet and sat back in my corner in the reading room. I pulled out the piece of paper, reading it again. There were footsteps in the hallway and I stuffed the paper back in my pocket.

“Looks like you did an okay job, mudblood. Maybe you’re not completely useless.” She laughed then walked away. I sighed, lying down. I was exhausted and I fell asleep without any problems.