The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 27

I must have dozed off because I woke up to someone opening the door and throwing down half of a sandwich. I picked it up, unwrapping it form the plastic wrap. It smelled fine, just a ham and cheese sandwich on white bread. If it was poisoned, did it really matter? I took a bite. I hadn’t eaten in over a day and I was starving. It tasted fine, amazing really. I had to pace myself, savoring each bite. I finished it, my stomach barely satisfied. But it was something. They wanted to keep me alive long enough for Harry to watch me die. I was like a prisoner on death row.

I sighed, rolling the plastic wrap into a ball and tossing it between my hands.

The door swung open again, the bright light filling the room. I heard someone yell something then someone fell down the stairs, landing at the bottom in a heap. The door closed again and my eyes had adjust to the darkness once more.

The heap at the bottom of the stairs started moving, sitting up and looking around. I could barely see their face, but I knew those eyes anywhere.

“How’d you end up here?” I asked, watching Draco’s expression change into one of shock. He didn’t say anything. “Must’ve done something pretty bad.” I examined the plastic wrap in my hand.

“How long have you been down here?” he asked finally, sitting on the floor near the stairs.

“Two maybe three days.” He stood up, walking up the stairs to the door. He tried the handle, but it was locked. He kicked it then sat on the top step, resting his head in his hands. “Do you know where we are?” he looked up.

“This is my house.” He replied, annoyed.

“Nice house, very cozy.” I said sarcastically. It was bad enough being locked in there alone, but with Draco was torture. He sighed, taking one last look at the door before making his way back down the stairs. He sat on the floor across from me and as far away as he could be.

“I told you they would find you.” He had to dig the knife in deeper.

“And you were right, for once. Happy about that?”

“You know what, I am. The only thing I wish is that I wasn’t stuck here with you.” He spat.

“I’m not too happy being here with you either. I really didn’t want to spend the last of my days with a selfish brat.” I spat back.

“I may be a selfish brat, but at least I’m not a filthy mud blood.” I could tell I was getting on his last nerve and I was enjoying it.

“I’d rather be a mud blood than a self-righteous prick!” he stayed quiet and I knew I’d won. It felt good to yell at him. I needed someone to take my anger out on and he was a perfect candidate.

We sat in silence, Draco keeping quiet in his corner and me tossing the ball of plastic between my hands.

“So why are you down here?” I asked, breaking the silence.

“I disobeyed orders.” He answered.

“Must’ve been some important orders.” I had an idea what they were: bring me to Voldemort.

“Any orders from the Dark Lord are important.” He said defensively.

“Were they to bring me here?” his silence was answer enough. I could feel tears stinging the backs of my eyes, but I fought them back. “So what was your plan then? Act nice, act like you cared then turn me over?” he sighed, shifting his position.

“Can we please just go back to being quiet?”

“I just want to know if any of it was real.” my voice was shaky with the tears that threatened to fall. He didn’t answer. I couldn’t see his face in the dark, but I was sure he was avoiding looking at me. I left it alone, not wanting to know the real answer even though I already had an idea.