The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 29

For months I waited, searching for any sign Draco would fulfill his promise. Every week I cleaned the entire house, Bellatrix checking to make sure everything was spotless. If she found one speck of dust I got the Cruciatus Curse. I made sure not to miss anything.

It was winter, or at least I think it was. It was unusually cold in the house and the thin blanket I was given didn’t provide any comfort. I was sitting in my corner in the reading room and hadn’t heard or seen anyone else for hours. I was almost sure I was alone. There was a loud pop and suddenly a house elf standing in the middle of the room. I’d never seen him before. The Malfoys had many house elves, but this definitely wasn’t one of them.

“You must come with me.” He had a very deep voice and one of his ears looked like it had been chewed up. He held out his hand for me to take, but I hesitated. “Mr. Malfoy has sent me.” Oh, great. So he did work for the Malofys and I was being taken to him. I sighed, grabbing his hand.

The world started spinning around us, faster and faster until I thought I would be sick. Then it stopped. We were standing in a dusty room filled with strange furniture and artifacts. The house elf let go of my hand and walked over to a huge cabinet.

“I got her.” He grunted. I expected Lucius or even Bellatrix to come around the cabinet, but it wasn’t. I wanted to run up to him, to wrap my arms around his neck and thank him.

“They’ll know you’re gone soon.” He opened the cabinet. “Come on.” He stepped inside. I followed, getting into the cabinet with him. He closed the door and muttered something. There was a rush of air then nothing. He opened the door and we stepped out. We were no longer in the dusty room, but in some storage place that was so cluttered with things I couldn’t see the way out. “We’re in Hogwarts.” He must’ve sensed my confusion.

“Hogwarts?”

“It’s the only place where there are people who can protect you.” He started walking down a small ppath through the junk.

“But what about you?” He turned around.

“They won’t know I helped you. They’ll think you simply escaped.” He reached into his robe and pulled out a wand; my wand.

“But they’ll know where I am, won’t they? With the whole mind connection between Harry and Voldemort?” He started walking again.

“Just…don’t worry about it.” He avoided the question. He opened a door at the end of the path, looking out before leaving. We had been in the Room of Requirement, but it was some weird storage space. We walked down the hall, no students around or even Squad members. He stopped, looking me straight in the eye, the expression on his face serious. “Go straight to Dumbledore’s office. Don’t go see Delia, or Harry, or anyone. Do you understand?” I nodded. Something flashed across his face, worry maybe, but he shook it off. I wrapped my arms around his neck, burying my face in his shoulder.

“Thank you.” He put his arms around my waist. I pulled away.

“You have to go Quendie.” I nodded and left. I practically ran to Dumbledore’s office, but when I finally got there I found the staircase already open. I climbed it, stopping at the top. Dumbledore stood behind his desk, Harry standing on the other side.

“Quendie?”

“They’ll know I’m gone soon.” Was all I could say. Dumbledore walked around his desk, stopping in front of me.

“We need to get you out of here.” He put his hand on my shoulder, leading me through a back door. Harry followed us out of the room and through a long tunnel until we were off the grounds. We apparated into a house I’d never been in before. It was old and needed to be cleaned, but it was better than sitting in my corner in the Malfoy’s house. A short woman with flaming red hair walked in; Ron’s mom.

“Well hello there you three.” She smiled. “I’m Mrs. Weasley.” I shook her hand.

“Ms. Pierce will need to stay here, Molly.” Dumbledore said; she nodded. “We need to get back, Harry.” Harry nodded then turned to me. I could tell he wanted to say something, but what do you say to a sibling you never knew you had? I wrapped my arms around his neck, squeezing him tight. He returned the hug and I almost felt like we could be family. Dumbledore and Harry apparated and I was left standing with Mrs. Weasley.

“Come on, my dear. We’ll get you something to eat and a hot shower. You’re nothing but skin and bones!” She walked into the kitchen. I turned, noticing the mirror on the wall. My skin was pale and dark circles stood out under my eyes. I lifted my shirt slightly, my hips and ribs very noticeable. Months of abuse had taken their toll.