An Unexpected Surprise

“So he’s watching over you now!” Damon said in disgust.

“It’s a good thing he was or we would be dead right now,” I said.

“Whatever,” Damon said.

“I think that we should just get out of here,” I said.

“Fine,” Damon said.

We gathered up our things and as quickly as we could and left. We didn’t have to worry about the blood or damages that were made in the suite; Damon was going to compel a few maids to make the room look a bit more presentable.

We were driving now for a while and neither one of us said a word to each other since we left the hotel. I didn’t want to say something first because I was stubborn like that, and I knew that Damon wasn’t going to say anything because he was equally as stubborn. All I knew that it was going to be a long quiet ride till we get to see my mom.

I woke up when the car came to a stop, I popped up and saw that we were stopped at the welcome sign.

“Are you sure that you want to do this?” Damon asked.

“Yes,” I said.

“Alright, we will go by foot from here,” he said.

Damon parked the car in an opening in the woods and then we ran to my house. We hid in the bushes and I looked at it. It still looked the same as when I left. A midsize brown house with a large white patio in the front that had a couple of chairs on it and a small table on each side of them. It even smelled the same, the fresh grass that had just been mowed by Mrs. Benson’s son that lived down the street, and the smell of baking bread that trailed out of the kitchen window that was slightly opened on the side. I heard the clashing of dishes being washed from the kitchen so I decided to creep up and look it. Damon tried to hold me back but I shook him off. When I saw my mom a smile came over my face. She looked the exact same since the last time I saw her. Only her eyes were a little red and puffy and she was wearing her pajamas and a bathrobe. She never dressed like that; as soon as she would get out of bed in the mornings she would get dressed right away and get ready to take on the day.

 As she was drying a mug it slipped out of her hands and shattered on the floor. It was my brothers mug that he had made for her on mother’s day. She knelt down to pick it up but she collapsed on the floor and started to cry. I knew that she wouldn’t have taken our deaths well.

“Why,” she cried. “Why did they have to be taken from me?”

I couldn’t handle seeing her like this anymore, I knew what I had to do. I got up and ran to the front door. Damon ran up next to me to try to stop me.

“Really think about this now, are you sure you want to do this?” he asked.

“Yes Damon now let me go so I can help her,” I said pushing him away. “Now go back in the bushes, I don’t need you for this.”