Ch. 34 ~ Celebration

Mona after party

We were headed home from dinner and I couldn't stop myself from staring at my ring. It was so beautiful and to share that moment with family and friends was so exciting. I felt like I was on top of the world and nothing would bring me down.

I tried cornering Ray too see if he had gotten anything and he said no. I wasn't sure if I believed him or not because I caught him talking to Ian a few times. Ian did say not to worry so I tried blanking it out of my mind.

"I promise the ring is not going anywhere," he said looking at me as he was merging into traffic.

"I know but I have never been engaged before. This was like winning the lottery you know."

"Wow I guess I got it going on," he said moving his neck and snapping his fingers.

I rolled my eyes. "The black girl neck rolling and two snaps up is not pretty on you. Leave it to Damon Wayans and David Alan Grier."

We both laughed as I thought about him being in In Living Color with Damon and David.

"So when do you want to get married," I asked.

"As soon as possible actually."

"Uh? How soon?"

"This weekend," he said looking at me all serious.

I looked at him like he was crazy.

"Listen to my idea," he said looking nervous. I took a deep breath and narrowed my eyes.

"We get married this weekend but we don't tell anyone. We come back and you and your mom plan the dream wedding. You can have whatever you want and I will follow your lead."

"Two weddings, two anniversary dates."

"Yep. The reason is I have seen people plan weddings and get so caught up that sometimes they don't make it down the aisle. This way you can't run because technically we are already married. It would be a secret love affair. I sweep you off your feet, we make love in the sand, just you and me and we can enjoy us before the baby comes."

"Well I didn't want to be big in a wedding gown. I guess the wedding could be after I give birth. I just hope I can get back to my size."

"That's why we do it now and you don't have to worry about that."

"Maybe you're right. In the next two or so weeks I will probably be showing and people will start to notice."

"We need to tell the employees we are engaged. We will need to find a replacement for you while you're out."

"I'm not gone yet? Are you kicking me out of the company?"

"No I figured you could work a few days a week from the office and work at home."

"You don't want me in the office?"

"It's not that. I know how you hate office gossip and I don't want you subjective to it. I just don't want you stressed out."

"Maybe you're right. I can cut back on the hours, do a little bit more yoga and practice being a good wife."

"See that's the spirit."

We pulled up to the house. It felt good to be home even though there were boing boxes everywhere. We walked in and all I could do was kick my shoes off.

"Lexi and your mom will be by in the morning to help you pack. We fly down to Mexico on Thursday night, get married Friday and come back Sunday. Your mom volunteered to help with the movers. I lied and told her we had a business meeting we couldn't miss. The movers will be here Saturday and we can move in Sunday."