Ch. 31 ~ Confronting Accusations

Mona POV

We were suppose to be back in New Orleans a week and a half ago but since unexpected business came up Ian asked me to stay. I was a little anxious to get back because I could only imagine the amount of work that was waiting on me.

Ian still wasn't talking about what was bothering him but I figured in time he would spill. I didn't want to be one of those naggy and needy girlfriends that guys complained about. But whatever it was, it was tearing him up inside. He hadn't touched me since the night he came home distraught. He would leave early in the morning and come home at night but he would fall asleep in the office.

I didn't want a relationship like this. We were still in the newest stage of our relationship but I had made it clear he could talk to me about anything, whether it was good or bad. From where I was standing it was bad. I wondered if he was upset about me turning down his proposal. Maybe he was trying to feel me out and I missed my opportunity. That couldn't be it but I wasn't so sure.

I loved Ian with all my heart. I just hoped he loved me enough to let me help him through this vulnerable time of his life. With both parents deceased, it had to be a lot of emotional baggage he was carrying around. I wanted to be there for him every step of the way but he had to let me in.

I was sitting outside by the pool relaxing next to the huge palm trees. I wasn't sure where Ian was since I really hadn't seen him. I knew he wasn't to far away and since his dad just died he needed some time to adjust.

My phone rang and I didn't bother to look at the caller id, I just answered it.

"Hello,"

"Mona Harris?"

"This is she."

"It's Angelo dela Bretonne."

"Why hello. What can I do for you?"

"I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Durand. He was a nice man," he said in a very thick sexy Hispanic voice.

"It was a shock but the company is in good hands. Ian Harrington is an excellent replacement."

"That is good to hear, Ms. Harris."

"You don't have to worry. You will have the same excellent customer service nothing has changed."

"Good. I do have a friend who owns a small piping company and is looking into shipping and I recommended your services."

"I am not in the office for the rest of the week. Does this need to be expedited?"

"Yes and whatever help you can provide would mean a lot to me."

"Let me see what I can do. I will call you back."

"Great. I look forward to your call."

We hung up. I hated to call Lucas but in this situation I really didn't have a choice. I swear if he said one thing that pissed me off I would ring his neck when I got back. I dialed his number.

"Hello, Lucas Slate's office, how may I help you?"

"It's Ms. Harris. Is Lucas in?"

"He is in a meeting would you like for me to page him out?"

"No. Just have him call Mr. dela Bretonne. He has a new client for us and I wanted this taken care of as soon as possible. Once it's been taken care of have him call me on my cell phone. Tell him I will call him by five if I have not heard from him."

"Yes ma'am."

"Thank you." I hung up the phone and tossed it on the side table. I pulled out my computer and logged on. It had been only two days since I last checked my email and already had over two hundred emails. I knew being here too long would make me lazy as I always responded to emails in a timely fashion. I started checking them and a hour and a half later I had finished and felt myself getting sleepy.