7 Pleasures In Wonderland

Mona's POV

Today was going to be a good day. I had just gotten the job as CFO at Durand Textiles and would be moving from Atlanta to New Orleans in the next couple of weeks. I have always wanted to live in New Orleans. Mardi Gras, the food, the entertainment was nothing like it anywhere else and I would be staying only a few blocks from the legendary Bourbon Street.

Tomorrow was my thirtieth birthday and I knew my bestfriend Alexis Varner, the event planner, had something special planned. That girl could throw a party on a minutes notice. She owned one of the biggest event planning agencies in Atlanta. She knew the whos whos and people always wanted to be around her. I met Alexis in third grade and we have been friends ever since.

We both graduated from Howard University and we both got our MBAs from Harvard School of Business. We were both successful, smart and attractive (as we have been told). Sometimes people think we are sisters because we are both caramel complexed with medium length brown hair. We wear the same size in clothes and shoes and we are both designer junkies.

The only difference is that Alexis is a party animal and I'm the more ultra conservative kind of girl. She's a Democratic and I am a Republician. I'm all about the corporate side of things making sure my wealth is created and saved while she parties and spends hers.

I was packing the last of my shoe closet, yes I have a shoe closet that was built in my bedroom. Sue me, I'm a designer shoe collector. Nothing goes on these size seven feet but the best. You name them, I have multiples.

I dress to impress and always have been like that. My mother teaches at Spelman and my father was a dentist. My father died when I was six. He went to the ATM machine one day and was robbed in broad daylight. The young punk shot my dad and he died instantly. The man was later arrested and he later died in prison.

I talk to my mother once a day and we have lunch every Saturday, but now our Saturday brunches would be cut out.
I loved my house in Atlanta. I bought it when I got my first real job at Texas Instruments as a marketing advisor; starting salary sixty thousand and a company car. Not too bad for a twenty three year old. From there I have worked with RhineHeart Chemicals as an Assistant VP of Finance and my last job was as CFO of Wakman Stone Company which Durand Textiles just bought out.

Mr. Collis Durand was impressed with my work and hired me to run the stone, copper and wood extension of his company shipping it through the US and internationally. I was up for the challenge and now I could prove to myself I could do this.

I heard my phone chirping. It had to be under all the clothes on my bed. I tossed the clothes off and picked up.

"Hey Chickadee! The party will be on and popping tomorrow night at Club Gazelles. You are getting the VIP treatment. I got us a limo so when we get drunk we don't have to drive. Mike the owner is going to set up the drinks and Lance Moore is going to serenade you. Who is the woman? I can't hear you?" (The last part she was mocking Spongebob Square Pants.)

"You are the woman Lexi," I said rolling my eyes. I loved my friend but she could be so dramatic.

"I will be at your house by four today so we can go shopping. You need a new dress and shoes for your birthday party. My treat!" she said way too excited over the phone.

"Lexi you don't have to do all this."

"Are you crazy? A girl only turns thirty once and since you are now officially single (baby baby!!! she was singing in the background) you have to do this right. I'm the party planner remember? All you have to do is follow my instructions and show up. Be ready when I get there, toodles," she said hanging up.

I really did not feel like going shopping. I had enough clothes and shoes to last a lifetime. This would be more stuff I would have to pack. I walked back through my three bedroom, three bath house. With three thousand square feet of living and a detached pool house, it would take me three weeks to pack. I grabbed my phone and googled the nearest reputable moving company.