Ch. 26 ~ Reflections

Ian POV

I looked across the huge banquet room and felt menacing eyes staring in my direction. It was Darren, the unmerciful ex-boyfriend of Mona. What did she ever see in him? He looked at me with a crooked smile on his face. Oh how I wanted to wipe it off.

"Our table is over there," Mona said grabbing my hand leading us to the front of the stage. Ann stood up and looked at me with upset eyes. "It's her fault, I kept trying to tell her Ann, but she wanted us to be late," I said throwing Mona under the bus. If eyes could kill, Mona would have had me disintegrated.

Ann hugged us as we sat across from her grandparents. A lady sung a beautiful rendition of Amazing Grace. The founder members were presented with a nice plaque as Mona's grandmother received hers. The slide presentation started of how the money was going to help runaways. There were several pictures of Mona, her mother and grandmother, painting and teaching the kids at a youth center.

The announcer came back on stage as asked the following people to stand due their large contributions. Each name was called including mine. I wasn't expecting this. "Ian Harrington and Mona Harris please come to the stage and receive your award. I looked at Mona and Ann in surprise.

"Go ahead baby," Mona nudged me. We stood up as people clapped. I wasn't really the flashy type and awards did nothing for me. I did it because I wanted to help out a good cause and of course make a good impression. We made it to the stage and Mona went in front of me.

"Mona Harris this award is for countless hours of your time with the youth in this community. You have served as Director, financial advisor, teacher and friend to those that have had nothing. The teens in our community voted you as Bridgewater's Community Woman of Year for 2013. Congratulations," the announcer said. She hugged him and kissed him on the cheek. She said a few words and then it was my turn.

"Mr. Harrington is new sponsor this year. Thanks to Ms. Mona Harris. She moved away and still bringing in sponsors." Everyone laughed and clapped. "This award is just a little token of our appreciation from your extremely large donation. We hope you continue to partner up with the Bridgewater Community and we look forward to a lengthy partnership." The announcer handed me the award. I wasn't much on public speaking.

"Thank you for this award. Sorry I didn't have a speech prepared. I will say that the Bridgewater Community has taken a step in the right direction to decrease the number of runaways and place them in good homes on where they can be afforded educational opportunities and help achieve life goals. I consider myself fortunate that Ms. Harris has opened my eyes to an organization that is leading the crusade to help our young children. Thank you again for this prestigious award and I will hang it proudly."

Mona took my hand and we walked off the stage as people stood and clapped.

"You ought to see the women salivating over you," she said.

"Want to dance?" I asked as the music began to play. We sat our awards down and walked out to the dance floor as Maxwell's, Pretty Wings, was being sung by the lead singer. We danced as I twirled her around. She laughed as I dipped her and we enjoyed the night.

"I need to go to the restroom," she said as the song was going off.

"I'll walk you," I said. I didn't trust Darren and I wasn't sure if he was still here or not.

"That was a surprise," she said as we walked out the ballroom.

"Yeah, it was. I am not big on taking awards and things."

"Well you did an excellent job on the off the top of the head speech. I was very proud of you," she said pulling my head down and kissing me.

"People will see us remember," I said mocking her.