b o n u s c h a p t e r

a/n so it was 2am and i was going through old comments on this fic and i had inspiration from  Crybabiesphangirling to write this ;)

-

Steven had everything he could ever want. He was captain for the football team, he had a full ride scholarship to uni, he had both a supportive family and group of friends, and yet he was still missing something. Something he couldn't yet reach. That something was love.

Steven didn't have a problem attracting girls, he had plenty of girlfriends throughout school and plenty of crushes on cheerleaders and bookworms alike. The problem was that he also had a major crush on his best friend Sam and he wasn't sure what to do about it.

Sam had been Steven's best friend since elementary when they both served detention together. Steven had been the stereotypical "teacher's pet". Homework handed in on time, getting marks for extra work, helping out whenever he could. His kindness was a magnet for the school bully, Tom, and it was only a matter of time before fate brought them together.

Tom had chosen a sunny day in June to strike and Steven had almost saw it coming. Bystanders circled the two, some staying quiet and observing, others edging Tom on to start a fight. Sam had been the only one to step in stop it. He threw the first punch and Tom threw the second. They went back and forth and Steven knew he should have taken that opportunity to run, but he chose to help Sam instead.

They both landed in detention and neither of them regretted it. Their friendship had blossomed and they spent the hour laughing despite the bruises on their faces. They were inseparable ever since, a dynamic duo.

Every milestone was achieved side by side. They always promised each other to be friends until the end, but Steven always subconsciously knew he wanted more.

High school had been a blur of football games, parties, studying, and dating. Steven and Sam both had their share of hookups and girlfriends. They both promposed to their prom dates and shared a limo and table. They slow danced and had a great time, but Steven was gaining a habit of staring at Sam for too long. He was used to him in football gear or tshirts. Not suits. Nothing could have prepared him for Sam in a suit.

Now he was standing in the crowd at after prom. Drunk and staring at Sam talking to his prom date on the other side of the room. Steven's own date had ditched him earlier in the night and he didn't care. She was nice, but she wasn't the person he really wanted to take to prom. He shook his head as if the thoughts in his brain would disappear.

Fresh air. He needed fresh air.

He stumbled through the crowd, clutching his beer bottle in his hand as if it were a lifeline. He found the back door and stepped out onto the back porch. Some kids were talking by the bonfire, but the people that caught his eye were the two boys kissing.

Steven smiled. They looked so happy, so in love with each other. Unafraid of being who they were and not caring if anyone saw how much they cared for each other. If he was sober, he would have silently congratulated them and walked away. But he was drunk, more drunk than he should have been.

"Yoooooo, get some homies! Be free to love each other my dudes. Cheers to you."

They turned around, shocked and embarrassed, but they smiled. The one he recognized from classes burying his head into the other's shoulder, wrapping his arms around him. That's what Steven was missing and he had never wanted it as much as now.

"Yo, Steven!" a voice called, a voice he knew too well. "Where've you been buddy? I've been looking for you!"

"You were talking to your date, whatever her name was I can't remember. I came out here because I need fresh air. I'm like, so drunk dude."