t h r e e

A miracle happened that Monday morning during second period. Dan walked into English class with what could quite possibly be deemed as the worst essay ever written stuffed into his bag. He had spent the entirety of his weekend on various social media, completely consuming his life with Vegas, leading him to have completely forgotten about the essay until 11pm on Sunday. So, in a caffeine craze, he typed up the most pathetic turning point until 3am and he was almost embarrassed to hand it in. At this point he would rather take the zero.

He sat down at his desk towards the back of class and looked out the window, contemplating whether he could scale down the side of the building. The bell rings and his teacher comes rushing in looking more tired than the students.

"Good morning class. First things first, how many of you have actually finished their essay?"

Nobody raised their hands except for Dan, who quickly put it back down when he realized he was the only one.

"Okay, good. It's not going to be due until the end of the month. Don't ask why, just be grateful."

Dan wasn't sure if this was considered a miracle or he had just gotten extremely lucky. Either way, he wasn't going to question it. Now he had a solid two weeks to actually write something worth handing in.

He spent the rest of the day trying to keep himself engaged in classes but ended up daydreaming for the majority of the time. The second half of the semester was the worst for Dan's attention span. He knew he had to pay attention since exams were coming up, but the idea of summer was so close that he didn't want to do anything.

After this semester he would never have to see anyone from his school ever again. He was slightly upset that he never made a connection with anyone, but at the same time he didn't really care. It's not like he'd ever be able to have a normal conversation with them anyway. He needed someone who would understand that and that someone was definitely not in his school.

His mind wanders to the day where he finally finds someone who understands him. He was curious as to when it would happen and who it would be. Phil's face flashes through his mind and Dan blushes slightly.

Oh yeah, okay Dan. It's been a total of four days since you've discovered this band and the lead singer is not going to be that someone, as amazing as that would be.

Despite telling himself this, he still can't help imagining the possibility. Meeting him in general would be the best thing to ever happen, but actually being able to see him everyday would be even better.

The deafening sound of the school bell rings signalling to Dan that he had successfully survived another day of hell. Now he could go home and spend the rest of the day and night doing various things revolved around Vegas. The essay was pushed to the back of his mind for the time being, he had tons of time now.

Dan walked out into the bustling hallway full of students who couldn't get out of the school fast enough. He maneuvered his way through the crowd until he came to his locker. Books he no longer needed were quickly exchanged for those he did need for homework and he quickly made his way down the stairs to freedom.

He breathed in the fresh air, put in his headphones, and began his walk home. He hummed along to Vegas with a smile on his face as he glanced up at the sun. Spring had just begun and the weather was lovely. Not too cold, not too hot, it was perfect. Perfect weather to go along with a perfect band. Dan was actually happy on a Monday. He hoped this would be a good sign for the whole week.

Despite the weather being nice, he couldn't wait to get inside and sit on his laptop in his room with the curtains closed. He was outside for long enough to appreciate the sun, but he didn't want to risk the chance of becoming a baked potato. Dan has gone through that once before and he wasn't interested for a second time.

Dan walked through the front door and immediately walked into the kitchen to grab a snack. He wasn't a very good cook so he settled for some crackers and brought the box upstairs to accompany him on another Vegas spree.

He settled onto his bed and set his laptop on his lap, munching on the crackers as he waited for the laptop to turn on. Dan didn't have a set plan on what he was going to do, he was just going to allow the Internet to take him on a journey.

These past few days had been the same; neglecting homework and fuelling his Vegas obsession by listening to their music, watching interviews, and even reading fanfiction. Yes, it has already gotten to that point. The majority of the Phil fanfictions were straight relationships so all Dan did was change the pronouns while reading and he was set. He only wished he would read this much for school.

Dan logged onto Tumblr and noticed a notification bubble by his messages. He was really hoping it was someone who genuinely wanted to talk to him rather than those spam accounts that asked you to click on their ads or check out their game. Nothing was worse than the small moment of hope for social interaction dwindling to disappointment.

Much to Dan's excitement, it was an actual message.

annaisvegastrash: ayyyeee you look like you like vegas as much as I do let's be bffs (does anyone actually say that anymore?)

danisnotonfire: I have never liked anything more and I don't think so but whatever I'm down to be bffs (nice url btw)

annaisvegastrash: so tell me about yourself dan and thank you yours is pretty cool too if I'm honest

danisnotonfire: there's not much to tell? I mean I love Vegas a lot and that's pretty much the only thing interesting about my life rn. hbu?

annaisvegastrash: honestly same with me. I'm pretty ruined thanks to them

danisnotonfire: me too and I've only been here since Friday

annaisvegastrash: woah seriously? just judging by your Tumblr alone I would have thought you had been a fan for ages

danisnotonfire: I wish I had been. idk where they've been all my life.

annaisvegastrash: they're still pretty new so you haven't missed much. I'd still consider you an original fan. how'd you first hear them anyway?

danisnotonfire: they were on the radio when I was supposed to be writing an essay for english. needless to say I didn't end up writing it

annaisvegastrash: they're always going to be more important than school. what's the essay supposed to be on

danisnotonfire: it's supposed to be a turning point essay. write about a moment that changed your perspective type of thing

annaisvegastrash: would you be able to write about Vegas?

Dan's eyes widened at the sudden realization of how daft he had been. He had a topic right in front of him this entire time and he had no idea.

danisnotonfire: you my friend have just said the most helpful thing and I am eternally grateful that you decided to message me of all people on this website

annaisvegastrash: it's what I'm here for. give me some copyright and we'll be all good ;) btw you're pretty cute

danisnotonfire: oh thank you that's very sweet of you. I'm gay though

annaisvegastrash: so am I. don't have to worry about me

danisnotonfire: oh okay oops

annaisvegastrash: I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship

danisnotonfire: two flaming homosexuals who love a band just a bit too much