s i x

Phil had writers block and to say he was frustrated would be an understatement. When he had sat down in the back room of the bus he was completely ready and inspired to start writing songs for the next album. But the moment he grabbed his journal and pen, all inspiration drained out and he was left desperately trying to clutch onto any ideas that were left. He failed miserably in that aspect and he groaned while laying his head down on the cool surface of the table.

It was moments like these where he deemed himself a failure at being a band member. He loved every bit of it and he was grateful to be able to make his dream into a career, but he still felt like he wasn't cut out for it. He knew there were always people who could do better than him. Phil obviously had a decent voice since he was chosen as the lead singer and they had a decent following that enjoyed his singing, but his voice, in his opinion, wasn't anything special. He was too socially awkward for interviews and meet and greets and the only reason he didn't get too nervous on stage was because the stage lights usually blinded him so he couldn't see the crowd. Songwriting was the one thing he saw himself as better than average and now he couldn't even do that.

He sat back up and began tapping his pen and looked around the tour bus. All he needed to do was calm down, clear his mind of any doubts, and think. If he began to panic over not being able to write, he wouldn't get anything done. Even in school, he would attempt to block out all negativity, breathe, and eventually something would pop into his head that triggered an idea and he wouldn't stop writing until he was done.

He needed to distract himself instead of worrying about it. They were just beginning their tour so Phil didn't know why he was even bothering worrying about the next album. He and the rest of the band had a lot of time to work on it. For now, he would simply focus on putting on the best show possible for everyone who ended up buying tickets.

Phil shoved his journal back into his backpack, grabbed his phone and sunglasses, and left the bus. The summer sun warmed his skin immediately as he stepped off the bus and he put on his sunglasses to prevent himself from squinting as he made his way into the venue they were performing in that night.

He was excited for the show. No matter what mood he was in, performing music to a crowd of people who were happy when listening to his band's music always managed to make him the happiest boy in the world. Phil loved touring despite all the late nights and early mornings and aching limbs. The smiling faces made everything worth it.

This was going to be Vegas' biggest tour yet, though it was still considered small when compared to other bands. But for a band that started out a year ago, it was big. The chances they were given were what Phil considered a miracle. Never in his wildest dreams did he think he'd ever be able to perform his music and actually have people pay to hear it live.

Phil entered the venue through the back door and maneuvered through the endless grey walled halls to the band's dressing room. When he arrived he was immediately bombarded by his other band mates who were enthusiastically chattering at the same time. Phil stared at them blankly since he couldn't understand what they were saying.

"Woah woah woah, I don't know what you're saying. Can one person talk at a time please?"

"We've been nominated for some award thing a radio station is doing!" Henry said as he moved his hands wildly above him.

"What?! What award?! How?!"

"There's this radio station that has a small award show so to speak every year for bands that aren't exactly huge in the music industry. It's good exposure for every band, whether they win or not, and we've been nominated for best new group."

Phil blinked rapidly trying to process what was being said. Vegas was actually nominated for something? Sure it wasn't an official award show that was televised but it was something. This could be the start of their breakthrough. This could be what shifts them from an unknown band to a more well known one.

"This is incredible! Wow, we of all people, nominated for something!"

"We'll need to tweet about it, fans vote for it through tweets."

"We should all tweet something. If we won I think I'd cry tears of joy."

All four boys whipped out their phones and began typing out their tweets.

MattyVegas: GUYS! we're nominated for best new group for the BOOM FM Awards! vote using #BestNewGroupVegas

HenryB: go go go! we need your votes! #BestNewGroupVegas

CoolGuyAdam: we need you dudes! #BestNewGroupVegas

AmazingPhil: everyone who votes will get their very own spaceship! (comes with aliens 👽) #BestNewGroupVegas

Tweets slowly began to flow in as more people read the tweets until there was a constant stream of their beautiful fans showing their support by voting. Phil smiled widely, even if they didn't win the award, he was beyond happy seeing everyone trying for the band.

Phil read through the tweets until it was time for their soundcheck before the show. He almost forgot their tour was starting tonight and as he remembered the nerves began to settle in. He was used to playing shows but he still couldn't help but feel nervous. Once he got through the opening song he was usually fine. The initial nerves and overthinking came with the job he supposed.

He took a quick glance back at his phone to read more tweets before he had to leave and smiled at the few fans who were spamming the hashtag as if their life depended on it. It was weird to think that some fans could be so supportive that they literally spent full days doing things revolving around his band. He wished he could tell 10 year old Phil who was more than likely alone in his bedroom learning guitar that one day he would have his own fanbase. It probably would have saved him from going through the sadder days.

danisnotonfire: @AmazingPhil @MattyVegas @CoolGuyAdam @HenryB I GOTCHU FAM #BestNewGroupVegas