p r o l o g u e

Dan Howell loves a band. He loves a band more than breathing, more than life itself, more than pizza. If there were a word that expressed his love for this band other than the mundane word "love", it would be that. Every ounce of his being went towards supporting this band because he believes this band is the reason he's still on this planet in the first place, and maybe it is.

Dan loves this band with all his heart and it's more than just a petty obsession because he thinks the band members are cute, which they are, but that was just a bonus. He simply doesn't love this band because they're famous and the latest trend. He loves them because they are more of a friend than anybody in his town.

The lyrics are more than just words that are sung on the radio to make money, they are what he thinks give his life meaning. They are what keep him going, they are the words he can't say, they are what he listens to to drown out bad thoughts that plague his mind when he can't fall asleep. Those lyrics are what give him comfort in life because he knows he isn't the only one who has had bad days.

The posters he hangs on his walls are more than just pieces of paper with cute boys with talent printed on it. They are the people who make him smile when he wants to cry. They are the people he wants to meet more than anything because they were there for him when no one else was, even when he knows they don't know he exists. They are the hope that good people still exist on this planet.

This band is the hope he clutches onto and all he wants is to tell them how much they mean to him. He wants to tell them everything, but he can't. Not because he has a slim to none chance of meeting them. Not because he wouldn't be able to form a coherent thought if he was in their presence.

No, the only reason he wouldn't be able to speak to them is because he physically can't. He's mute.