o n e

Dan sighs as he plops down onto his bed after an emotionally and physically exhausting week of school. He knew he only had to make it through one more semester until he could finally graduate and get out, but it seemed impossible. The homework load was enough to make him want to set himself on fire (lmao) and by adding in an entire grade of assholes, Dan was close to dropping out and becoming a stripper.

Learning in general was something that he enjoyed, but not when the information was given to him in the form of writing bullet point notes or completing an array of textbook questions by a teacher who hates their job. He would rather learn at his own pace and get rid of the homework altogether.

The people in his grade didn't make the school experience any better. 90% of the grade only cared about the parties that happened almost every weekend and the other 10% were actually decent but not people interested in hanging out with a boy who couldn't even speak to them.

All Dan knew was that whoever said high school would be the best four years of his life was either a) actually popular with friends or b) a liar.

The only decent part of his day was coming home and spending time with his mum. His dad was usually never home since he served in the military and was always overseas. The days he was home were the best days and the only thing Dan really looked forward to. Those were the days his mum was the happiest.

He reluctantly gets out of bed, knowing he has a boatload of homework that couldn't be put off until Sunday night. Normally, he would challenge that and purposely leave it until last minute simply just to prove a point, but an essay he had no topic for wasn't something he wanted to do at 3am.

The essay was a turning point essay. He would have to write about a moment in his life where he had "a turning point". A moment where he had an epiphany so to speak and his life changed forever. Dan had thought about writing about his life being mute, but his life had always been like this so he didn't have any evidence of what others call a "normal" life. He could write about his father serving in the military, but again, it was something he had always known. Dan always enjoyed English class so he didn't want to just write about something that could be seen as typical and he definitely didn't want to write about something that had a bullshit meaning to it. Needless to say, his life wasn't dramatic enough to have a turning point.

All he did was wake up earlier than the sun and then hit snooze for another hour, survive the never ending hell of school, come home to attempt to start the same magnitude of hell called homework, eat dinner, and then spend countless hours on tumblr adding to his shitpost aesthetic.

What Dan needed was a plot twist. He needed something that would come crashing into his life and turn it upside down and make it a little exciting. What he didn't know was that that plot twist would come in the form of a band.

He grabs his headphones from his backpack before dropping them like the klutz he is. He makes no attempt to catch them and instead stares at them lying on the ground rather than picking them up.

Is it really worth bending over to get them? Or can I live without them?

He decides to live without them.

Now he has the difficult decision of choosing a song to listen to. He tries shuffle but every song wasn't right. He was getting frustrated so instead of listening to the music already on his phone, he turns on the local radio station that actually played decent music instead of the same 10 hits on repeat. This station would often play bands that were considered "no names" in the music industry and finding new music was one of Dan's favourite pastimes.

He sits at his desk and turns the volume to just above half so he's able to concentrate on thinking of an essay topic. Dan grabs a pencil and immediately begins chewing on the end, grabs a piece of paper for notes, opens his laptop, and begins to stare at his wall as if it held the secrets of the universe. The soft tune of an alternative band echoes through his room as he debates some possibilities.

All creative processes were failing to function and Dan was close to giving up even though he had barely started. It was as if his imagination was a gaping void of emptiness. He simply had nothing.

Dan pushes his laptop aside and leans his head against the cool surface of the desk. This essay was due on Monday and he had absolutely nothing. At this rate he would have to go with one of the two he didn't want to write about and make a bullshit turning point that wasn't true or just take the 0.

His attention wanders over to the music when he hears what he assumes as the instrumental intro for a new song. He almost forgot he had music playing and he didn't know why this particular song had caught his attention.

He turns his full attention to the song playing and he has never been more thankful for doing so.

Some say love is not for sinners
I believe that isn't true
'Cause when I was finished sinning
Love came down and showed me you

Dan wasn't sure what it was, but he was feeling like a school boy again. He felt like he was twelve and had just seen a pretty boy walk by, but of course had to keep the freaking out down to an absolute minimum. That wasn't working out for him in this case. He knew what fangirling was, he just never thought he'd actually experience it for himself.

He could feel tears welling up behind his eyes and he wasn't sure why. The song itself was beautiful, but not sad. His emotions had already been thrown into disarray and he had only heard one song. He also felt an uncontrollable need to scream or at least squeal like a five year old girl who had just gotten a puppy for Christmas.

Dan felt as if a hole in his heart that he wasn't aware of was being filled in and he knew he needed to find out who this band was.

I just want to know what they look like and what their names are. That's it.

He spent the rest of his evening and a good majority of the early morning hours researching the band, listening to every song they had, and watching whatever video of them he could find on the Internet.

He wasn't sure what had happened but his life had changed. All thanks to a band called Vegas.

♬♬♬

a/n if you think I regret calling the band Vegas you're wrong.