Chapter Sixteen: Delicate Hands

(Your POV)

How do I explain to Connor that I could die? I need to... Out of everyone that's going he needs to know... So does grandma but... I can't tell her... I'd rather her think I died in combat versus dying in a whimper. Before as we are flying south I am sitting in a room in Lin's ship. Waiting for Connor... I don't need to wait long as I hear a knock. I tell the person to come in. I look up to see Connor and... Aquaris?

You: "Aquaris?" I asked in confusion. She merely gave me a sad look. "You want to know to..." I said quietly. She nodded and I just patted either side of my bed where I am sitting. Connor sits and so does Aquaris. "Alright... Connor knows this but at birth I should have been dead." I explained looking at Aquaris. She goes wide eyed. "I was drowning in my own... Blood and couldn't be saved... Yet I'm alive." I explained to her calmly.

Aquaris: "How?" Aquaris asked me sounding concerned. I smile weakly at her.

You: "A spirit saved me... He entered my body and 'possessed' me in a way." I said as I put air quotes around possessed. "It prevented the blood from leaking into my lungs and poof. Here I am." I said with a smile. "Comes with a bonus of super strength, being immune to most forms of physical, and being accused of being a monster by complete idiots." I said jokingly in a salesman type voice. Aquaris smiled at that but it faded as mine did. "The issue is..." I turned to look between the two. "If he or should I say she is torn from my body... I'll die of what I should have from birth." I said as I looked down. I heard Aquaris gasp and I can feel Connor's gaze turn to one of concern.

Connor: "Then why risk fighting Unalaq? Why risk coming down here!? Why risk this!?!? WHY RISK YOUR LIFE!?!?!?" Connor shouted at me every loudly. I look down as I heard him trying to catch his breath.

You: "Because for Hercule to be whole I need to be near the spirit portal when the convergence comes... If not... I could just drop dead when her other half runs to her body..." I said sadly as I looked down. I feels Connor's gaze change from one of annoyance to one of understanding and sadness.

Connor: "I... See..." Connor said sadly and rather weakly. "What's to say that wouldn't just happen regardless of how close you are?" Connor asked me weakly. I sigh once more.

You: "Nothing says I won't... Drop dead when I comes... The chances are much lower but it still could... I'm so sorry. I'm so damn sorry." I said as I placed a and over my eyes and rested my elbow on my leg. "If I had known sooner I would've told all of you but I had no idea... I'm so sorry." I said as I felt tears well up in my eyes. "Just as things look up for me again... Having my family back to me and amazing friends... This has to happen..." I said weakly as I felt tears creep down my face. I won't lie here. I'm scared. Not of dying or how I could die but of leaving everyone when they need me. I feel two sets of arms latch onto me and when I look I see Connor and Aquaris are holding me tightly.

Aquaris: "It'll be okay... It'll be okay." Aquaris whispered into my ear in a caring tone. "You're strong... Not just physically but spiritually to... You'll pull through even if you have to kick death in the shins one good time." Aquaris tried joking into my ear. I chuckle weakly at that with Connor.

Connor: "She's right..." Connor said to me weakly. I smile a bit at their care... And for a moment I wonder what will come of them if... If I do die. But in the end I know they might be wrong... I have a fifty/fifty shot of just dropping dead when the time comes. And that blows chunks.

Both sit and comfort me... more like me comforting them... Connor didn't... Or doesn't want to lose me and Aquaris doesn't want to lose her 'first really friend.' But, I can't stop it. Its either I go and maybe not die or die. After a couple of hours of tears, comforting, and explaining, the two of them end up leaving me to my own thoughts at my own request. There's not much I can do but accept my fate. Life can be cruel sometimes and not even bad jokes can help you through it. I sit in the room I am in just thinking... I can't hear Hercule right now but... I guess that doesn't matter. I may never hear a damn thing ever again. I run my fingers through my hair as that thought goes through my head. I don't fear dying... It's what I would have to leave behind that I fear for... Grandma, Connor, all my friends... It's what will happen to them I fear... I won't be able to protect them. Before that thought can advance I hear a gentle knock at my door and I know exactly who that is... I'm surprised it took her this long. I tell Asami to come in and she does. She looks at me with a slight bit of surprise.