Chapter 10 - Part 2

Chapter 10 – Part 2

I felt numb, as I stepped through the gate and started walking. I didn’t know where, and I difinatly didn’t care. I walked away from Liam. Away from Ellie. Away from Beatrice. But, whoever I walked away from, I would do it with dignity. I straightened my back and continued on.

As I turned a corner, I saw a group of people, laughing. When I got closer, I realised it was Matt and his friends. Matt looked up and smiled, waving his beer bottle. “Hey babe!”

He was drunk.

He tried to get up, unsuccessfully, and stumbled towards me, a huge smirk on his face. He tripped and fell at my feet.

I laughed sarcastically. At least someone had fallen at my feet, even if it wasn’t Liam.

“Want a beer, baby?” Matt hiccupped, when he had got to his feet. “Beer baby!” He burst out laughing. “Beer baby! Beer baby!”

I shook my head.

“Wanna join us, pretty girl?” One of Matt’s friends said, who was sitting on the ground.

“No, thank you.” I said, politely.

Suddenly, I felt something grab my ankle. I looked down, to see the same guy with his hand wrapped around my leg.

“Uh, could you let go please?” I asked.

“Tom! Let go of my girlfriend!” Matt shouted, stumbling towards Tom, swinging his fist.

I yanked my leg away from Tom’s grasp and walked off, tired of annoying, drunk men.

Someone grabbed my arm and I spun around, to come face to face with Matt.

“Stay.” He said, giving me a puppy-eyed look.

“No, I’m going for a walk.” I said, firmly, pulling away.

“I’ll come with you then.” He said, catching up with my brisk pace.

“Okay.”

Eventually, I realised we were nearing the party and quickly turned so that we were walking alongside the long wall that divided the gardens from the park.

“So why aren’t you at the party?” I asked, trying to make conversation.

Matt shrugged, seeming more sober. “I don’t like Liam. Liam doesn’t like me.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Old grudge. Pathetic really.”

“Oh, what was it about?”

“He stole my girl.” He said, simply.

“Oh.” Then something sprung to mind. “Was this girl Beatrice by any chance?”

He looked at me, sheepishly. The look said it all.

“How?! How could you even go out with her?” I exclaimed.

He shrugged, again, changing the topic. “So why aren’t you at the party? You and Liam seem pretty close.”

I ignored his statement, and looked straight ahead. “Your ex threw me out.”

He burst out laughing. “Really?”

I looked at him. “Yes, and it’s not funny.”

He stopped laughing, smiling slightly. “That is so Bea.”

I stayed quiet; I didn’t know what to say.

From then we chatted and walked aimlessly into the woods. Eventually, we turned and walked back, not wanting to get lost.