Chapter 23

Chapter 23

You’re insecure

Don’t know what for

You’re turning heads when you walk though the door

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing, accompanied by the delicious smell of my mum’s homemade pancakes. I groaned before rolling over, burying my head in my pillow, mentally begging my phone to shut up. The amazing scent continued to waft in though my half-open door, along with the constant drone of Liam’s voice. Sighing, I sat up, rubbing my temples. I grabbed for my mobile, checking the called I.D.

Ruth calling. I smiled as brought it up to my ear. “Hello?”

“Oh my god, Kate! Thank god you picked up! I’m so sorry. I bet you’re waiting for me now.”

“What?”

“It’s half past twelve!” she exclaimed. I looked at my bedside clock. 12:30. She was right, and I was late.

“It’s fine,” I replied. “I’m late too. Meet up at two instead?”

She giggled. “Sure. See ya!”

“Bye, Ruth,” I chuckled, before hanging up. After chucking my phone on my bed, I pulled on a pair of jeans and a top, not really caring about my appearance. Who did I have to impress anyway? Liam was in London. With his girlfriend. I sighed, I really needed to stop thinking about him and just accept that we would never be together. My hair was then pushed up on my head, in a messy bun and my eyelashes coated with mascara. When I was done, I skipped down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“Someone’s happy today,” my mum observed. Beaming back at her, I plopped down at the table. “Want a pancake?”

I nodded eagerly, feeling like I was four again, sitting excitedly at the table waiting for my pancakes. It was good to be home.

-------------------

After I had eaten enough pancakes to feed an army, I realized I had forgotten my phone up stairs. I trudged back to my room, before scanning the messy space for my beloved mobile. When I couldn’t see it anywhere I felt a horrible feeling of panic wash over me. My bedside clock read 1:39, meaning I would have to hurry to my coffee date with Ruth. Well, that was just great, I thought sarcastically as the clock ticked, time slipping away.

“Mum!” I yelled. “Have you seen my phone?!”

“No. Sorry, love!” she yelled back. I groaned in frustration. After having looked everywhere, I plopped down on my bed and slumped my shoulders in defeat.. It was 1:46, which meant I could still get to Mocha Hut in time, if I left immediately. There was a soft knock at the door and I looked up.

“Hey, honey,” my mum started. “Still can’t find it?”