Chapter 27

Chapter 27

When I had eventually arrived at home after a dramatically eventful day, I had cried myself to sleep, again. I seemed to be doing that a lot lately. I was pulled out of my dreamless slumber by the sound of someone at the door. I ignored it, tired as hell; my mum would have to go get it.

A few seconds later came another thunder of banging. Pulling myself out of bed, I slipped on my slippers. I walked down the stairs, probably resembling a zombie; my eyes half closed and my arms before me, feeling my way forwards. Once I had found the door handle, I pulled the heavy entry way open, blinking in the sudden sunlight.

“Hey Kate!” A familiar voice chirped. Before I could even try to remember whom the voice belonged to, I was encircled with a pair of arms. I tried to pries my eyes open, and once I had managed to, I saw a familiar head of blonde hair.

“Ellie!” I gasped. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to see you, silly!”

“Huh?” came my intelligent reply, which Ellie just laughed at.

“Well, the End of Term Performance is happening the day after tomorrow, so we have to practice!” she said happily.

I gaped. “Two days?”

She just nodded.

“Oh my God! I can’t do it!” I spluttered.

Ellie clapped her hands on my cheeks, looking me directly in the eyes. “Get yourself together, girl! Of course you can!”

After a few more minutes of me hyperventilating and Ellie trying to calm me, we plopped down on the sofa. She turned to me with a grin on her face. “How are things with Payne?”

I frowned, before looking away. “I don’t want to talk about it…”

“What happened? Tell me!”

“I really, really messed up,” I said, tears forming in my eyes as I turned to her. Instead of pushing further, Ellie pulled me into a hug. What would I do without her, huh?

------------------------

After Ellie had helped me pack, there was another knock at the door. No one opened the door, so I stood up, groaning. Where was everyone?

“Wait here, I’ll get it,” I said, turning to Ellie. She shook her head following after me down the stairs. I yanked the door open, not knowing who to expect.

“Jamie?” Ellie asked, stepping out from behind me, taking the words from my mouth.

 “Ellie?” He replied, completely ignoring me.

“Um, hello?” I said awkwardly. They continued to take no notice of me, even though I was standing between them, blocking their view of eachother.