Detention⇔Reggie

40k reads and 1k votes?!?!? thank you so much!!💓

Trouble wasn't something you found yourself in often. You were the good student with the highest grades, never truant and had a reputation for being nice and polite to everyone. It was one of the reasons why everyone enjoyed your company. You were usually the nicest, friendliest and most positive person around school. There'd only been one time you'd ever gotten into trouble and that was in second grade when you'd stole Jughead's hat off his head because you thought it was cool and put it on your own. He'd cried because you'd refused to give him it back so the teacher yelled at you, gave you a timeout and made you gave the hat back.
That was the only time in your whole sixteen years of age.
Up until today.
It had been a particularly bad morning. First the stupid alarm hadn't gone off making you half an hour late then the moment you stepped outside mother nature decided to work against you and send a mass of rainfall. There had been no time for the bus so you'd ran all the way to school getting splashed by the passing cars on the road. By the time you got to school you were drenched, late and in the worst mood possible. Your usual happy smile was nowhere to be seen. Instead, you stormed into the classroom, threw your books down on the desk and sat yourself in your seat with a huff, arms crossed over your chest.
"(Y/N) when you're late to class, I expect a reason and for you to slide in without making a ruckus," the teacher glared at you now standing in front of your desk.
You scoffed. "Bite me."
The gasp of a few of your classmates could be heard, a shocked looked on your teacher's face that soon turned to thunder. "Get to the headmaster's office, now."
It wasn't until you were sat outside the headmaster's office next to Reggie Mantle when it really hit you that you'd messed up. The panic set in. Would this go on your permanent record? Would you get expelled? Suspended? Surely that was too much of a punishment for bad mouthing a teacher, right? Nervously chewing your nails, your leg bounced up and down in anticipation of what was about to happen. You'd never in your life been to see the headmaster for anything bad like this. This was quite possibly the worst day of your life. Maybe that was a bit dramatic but nothing like this ever happened to you.
"Chill, it's gonna be fine." You snapped your head to your right to see Reggie looking at you, an amused look on his face. "What's the school's resident goody two shoes doing sat outside the headmaster's office, huh?"
"Shutup, Reggie," you said timidly. Reggie wasn't exactly someone you were on great terms with. At any given opportunity, he and his squad were always hurling comments at you and your best friend Jughead. It was mainly at Jughead more than you although you did get the occasional comment every now and then. You were loyal to Jug, though. He'd never admit it, but you knew how much it bothered him when they were always on at him.
"Aw, come on," Reggie started, arms folded over his chest.
"No. You're rude and mean and full of yourself and I don't want to talk to you so just lea-"
Before you could finish your sentence, the headmaster stepped out of his office, calling you in. You gulped, picking your bag up and walking in the room to meet your fate.
"Feels weird dropping you off at detention," Jughead chuckled, coming to a stop outside the door that had detention on the front of it. You frowned, leaning against the wall.
"Don't laugh, Juggie. This is the worst day of my life."
"Oh god, can you get any more dramatic?"
You shot him a glare with your arms folded across your chest. In your world this was the worst day of your life. The punishment for your little clapback was a week's worth of detention which wasn't too bad but you'd never had detention before. Not once. Jughead found it hilarious that you were panicking so much over something as simple as detention. All you had to do was go in the room, sit down for an hour and read a book or do some work. It wasn't exactly complex but to you it was terrifying.
"Well, here goes. Meet you at Pop's in an hour?" You asked to which Jughead nodded his head. That was your usual after school routine only today you'd be a little bit behind schedule.
"Sure thing, trouble. Try not to go too crazy in there," he grinned, giving you a patronising pat on the head before he headed off probably to sit at Pop's and work on his novel while he waited for you.
As you stepped into the room, you noticed there was only one other person sat there (along with the teacher at the front desk but that was a given). Of course, it was the one and only Reggie Mantle. As he heard the door open, his head perked up and a smirked graced his face as he saw you timidly walk in and sit yourself down on the desk to his right. You pulled out a book and some homework you needed to get done before finally turning to look at him. As you were about to open your mouth to speak, Reggie held his index finger up to his lips telling you to be quiet. You'd forgot that talking in detention was a big no-no. So, with a sigh you turned back to your work.
It wasn't until twenty minutes later when the teacher had to leave the room telling you both to stay put that he actually spoke to you.
"See, told you it wasn't gonna be that bad!" He said smugly.
"Not that bad? I'm in detention," you groaned, putting your pen down on your paper and turning to look at him. "How often are you here?"
He shrugged his shoulders. "Not often. Got into a bit of trouble for purposely tripping over some dude in football. "
"Do you get a kick out of being a dick to people or something?"
"What? No." He actually seemed offended which took you back a little bit. "I'm actually a pretty decent person."
"Try telling Jughead that."
He frowned, looking at his work instead of you. "That's just... that's just banter when I'm with the guys. Nothing personal." You ignored him so he carried on talking. "Look, I'll prove to you I'm a decent guy. Let's play twenty questions."
Was he serious? Did he really want to play a stupid game to prove he wasn't a complete jerk? Getting to know him a bit better might not be the worst thing in the world but at the same time you were in detention. The teacher could walk through the door any minute now causing you to get into even more trouble. You eyed the boy who looked incredibly sincere so you nodded your head. "Fine, Reggie. Um, what's your favourite colour?"
"Blue. That was a lame question. What's your favourite food at Pop's?"
So, that was how the next ten minutes were spent. You shot questions back at each other, learning new things. You saw how passionate he was about football, how much he loved his family and how when he was on his own he wasn't that bad of a guy. It made you seem him in a whole new light. Your fun was cut short, though when the teacher walked back into the room but the both of you sat there with smiles on your faces.
That's how detention for the next week went - you'd play a game of twenty questions until you got talking about something and the teacher walked in. If the teacher was in the room, you'd lowkey pass notes to each other with silly little jokes and comments. It was safe to say you and Reggie Mantle had formed some kind of friendship. It even showed during normal school hours when he'd walk past and say hi to you and even to Jughead which caused your best friend to automatically assume the world was about to end and everyone should prepare for the apocalypse. It wasn't until the last day of detention when a wave of sadness hit you that you wouldn't get this alone time with Reggie anymore that you realised you had feelings for him.
So, you did the only thing you usually did when you caught feelings for anyone and that was shut them out. Relationships never ended well for you. Your last boyfriend had dumped you to get with one of the cheerleaders and after that you'd vowed off catching feelings or dating again. At one point you'd had feelings for Archie but shut them down and thankfully they passed but this with Reggie was difficult. Anytime he said hi to you or smiled your way all you wanted to do was bound over to him and talk to him but instead you put your head down and ignored him.
He was confused and hurt.
One day when you were sat at the table in the library reading a book, you heard a chair been moved and looked up to see Reggie with a confused look plastered on his face.
"I remember you told me sometimes on free periods you like to hide out in the library and read so..." He half smiled then sighed. "What's going on, (Y/N)? Is everything okay?"
"Yeah, everything's fine," you tore your gaze away from him and focused back on your hook, giving him short snippy answers.
"Did I do something? I'm sorry if I did." He sounded sad and that hurt your heart. You didn't want to make him sad but this was for the best.
Just in time, the bell rang signalling class. You stood up from the table, book in your hand as you headed out of the library without a word to Reggie hoping that he wouldn't follow you but he did. Clutching your book to your chest, you sped up but he jogged to stand in front of you so you couldn't go anywhere.
"(Y/N), stop ignoring me. Why are you pushing me away? What did I do?" He pleaded, his eyes boring into yours and you felt yourself melt inside. He had the most beautiful eyes. The Reggie you thought you'd known was so different to the one you knew now. He was a sweet, dedicated boy that just had a hard exterior. He liked to come across as the alpha but really he was a teddy bear and all you wanted to do was hug him.
With a sigh, you shook your head. "You made me fall for you and I-I can't do feelings. You probably don't even like me anyway which is good because it'll help me get over it faster. Just stay awa-"
Before you could finish your sentence, you felt soft, warm lips on yours. It was a short, sweet kiss but it shut you up. It was hard to not smile after that. You shyly looked at the ground then back up to Reggie who had a cocky little grin on his face. "You're damn crazy if you think I'm staying away from the nerdy little girl that somehow worked her way into my heart. If you didn't guess, I feel the same way."
"I dunno, I might need some more convincing," you gained a little bit of courage, biting your lip nervously as he just laughed but pecked your lips again much to the shock of the students around you.
Maybe detention wasn't that bad after all.
---
credit to supersleuthjughead on Tumblr