Drowning⇔Jughead

Special thanks to dampnoodles who gave advice to help me improve my book, Summer Camp! I recommend checking out her book, Wishes and Waffle Cones, an unconventional love story themed around ice cream!
-
It had been two days after your and Jughead's one night stand. A one night stand with your best friend. How cliché. You snorted at the memory as you pulled your jacket closer to you. Although it was the middle of the day, it was freezing out. You were sitting on the edge of Sweetwater River, white puffs of air escaping your mouth as you exhaled. You watched the rough rapids that were inches in front of you as you waited for Jughead. The memory of your hookup from two nights ago replayed in your head like a broken record.

It didn't matter who initiated it. What mattered was that it was happening.
The two of you were on your bed and heavily making out, some forgotten about movie playing in the background. Jughead was on top of you, kissing you all over your body. You had closed your eyes, trying to focus on your breathing and keeping your moans quiet so your parents wouldn't hear the two of you from downstairs. Jughead had suddenly ceased his kisses, causing you to open your eyes. His face was inches from yours, his pupils dilated.

"Do you want me to stop? I don't want you to feel like you have to—"

"Jughead." you stated, effectively silencing him.
You looked at him and gently caressed his cheek with your palm.

"I don't want you to stop. I don't ever want you to stop."
That was all Jughead needed to continue.

But that was two days. The two of you hadn't talked since. You had sent him a text earlier that day during homeroom.
"We need to talk. Sweetwater River. 3 o'clock."

You had gotten a response thirty seconds later.
"Okay."

So now here you were, freezing your ass off at the edge of the river tainted by the death of Jason Blossom. You looked at your watch. 3:32. Your heart sank as you realized he probably wasn't coming. You sighed and got up, swinging your backpack over your shoulder. You walked along the wet, slippery rocks of the river's edge, stumbling every now and then.

"Y/N!" a voice called.

The voice surprised you so much that you lost your balance, letting out a yelp as you fell into the freezing rushing rapids of the river. You struggled to keep your head above water as the rapids dragged you further and further away from safety. You heard the voice called your name again, louder and more panicked this time but the rapids dragged you under. No matter how hard you kicked, you just kept sinking deeper and deeper. Your lungs were on fire and you were thrashing around beneath the rushing water, being pulled in every direction. Eventually your body couldn't take it anymore and you involuntarily inhaled water. Darkness began to cloud your vision as unconsciousness over took you. The last thing you remembered before everything went black was the feeling of a warm hand grabbing your arm.
...
"Y/N! Come on, Y/N, breathe." a voice said faintly.

You wanted to open your eyes, but couldn't. Something or someone was pushing down on your chest and gusts of air were being blown into your mouth. All of a sudden, your eyes flew open, and you turned to your side, coughing up all the water in your lungs. You heard a relieved exhale and finished coughing out the rest of the water, turning back to the source of the sound. Jughead. He was soaked and had tears running down his face. He pulled you into his chest, holding you tightly.

"Y/N, I-I thought I lost you." he said, getting choked up.
You were shivering uncontrollably but you managed to hug him back weakly.

"Co-Cold," you shivered. "It's s-s-so c-cold."
Jughead pulled away from you and began to rub your arms, trying to create heat with the up and down movement. He looked at you worriedly as he saw your lips were turning blue.

"Here, let me help you up." he said, wrapping his arm around your waist, lifting you up on shaky legs.

"We'll get you home, okay? Get you in some warm clothes."
You nodded, teeth chattering as the two of you walked slowly out of the woods.

"Y-You were late," you said as the two of you walked to the road. "Forget me or something?" you attempted to joke.

Right now you needed something to keep your mind off the freezing cold in your bones and if teasing Jughead Jones was the solution, then you'd be damned if you didn't at least try. But Jughead shook his head.

"How could I ever forget about you, Y/N?" he asked. "I love you."

The warmth that filled your body was enough to help you make it home.
---
credit to mrs-jughead-jones on Tumblr