Reality Bites Me⇔Veronica

y'all should peep my poetry book. It's aesthetic af.
-
"Hey!" I heard Betty call out immediately upon walking into Pop's. I turned in the direction of her voice, and found her waving me over, with Kevin sitting opposite of her in the booth they were occupying. Smiling, I made my way over, and sat down next to Kevin, stealing one of his fries. He looked at me accusingly, but quickly turned his head away and started talking.
"Can you believe Miss Hagely today? Using history memes in class, of all things?"
"She's pretty hip for being, you know, older," Betty said, through laughter.
"I guess, but don't you feel like she's grasping a little?"
Betty shrugged, but I was too preoccupied with eating Kevin's fries to care. And, I also thought it was kind of cool of Miss Hagely to try and relate to her students. Kevin and Betty argued over it a little, and I finished Kevin's fries, which he reluctantly, but silently, gave to me. After their argument died down, Kevin turned to me.
"Why are you here anyway, (Y/N)? Shouldn't you be with Veronica? And I didn't mean to make that sound rude, by the way."
"What do you mean? I'm always with Ronnie. I can't sit with my other friends for a change?" I'd be remiss if I missed the looks that passed between Kevin and Betty, a wide eyed, frightful thing.
"You mean, you don't remember what today is..?" Betty asked, drawing out the question.
"Um..Tuesday..?"
"Oh, my god! You're going to die. Come here," Kevin said, opening his arms, "because this is the last time I'm going to see you." I let him hug me, but I looked at Betty, confusion written all over my face.
"(Y/N)," she said, carefully, "it's the 28th.."
I shook my head slowly, made a face, and gestured a little with my hands, clearly questioning why Betty would tell me that.
"The 28th? As in your 6th month anniversary of dating V?? God, (Y/N)! Even I know that and I'm not dating her!"
"Ohhhh shit, shit shit shitshitshit," was all I could say, the revelation dawning on me. I jumped up from the booth and out of Kevin's arms. "I gotta go, like, now. Ahh Ronnie's gonna kill me." I slung my bag over my shoulders and rushed out the door, thoughts racing through my mind on how I could make this up to my girlfriend. I figured that if I bought anything now, and came home two hours later than I usually do, she'd know right away that I would be trying to cover up the fact that I forgot. Ultimately, I just decided on going straight to her place, which I guess technically was my home now, since I spent all my time there, and telling her straight up that I just forgot, and that I would make it up to her.
I practically ran back to her house, my mind reeling on all the different outcomes that could happen from this. I was scared, not for me, but for the fact that I knew I had more than likely unintentionally hurt Ronnie. It also didn't help that halfway home, I got a text from Kevin that read, I just want you to know that when you die, I'll try and use an Ouija board to contact you from the other side.
I burst through the front door and ran up to her room, to find Ronnie sitting on her bed, a tray of flowers that held two cupcakes by her side. I walked over gingerly, not sure what to expect.
"Hey, babe," I said, slowly. "Happy anniversary."
She looked up at me, a sad smile on her face. "Happy anniversary," she sighed, obviously disappointed.
"Look, Ronnie, I'm so, so sorry, but I completely forgot that it was our anniversary.. Honestly, if it wasn't for Betty, I wouldn't have even remembered at all. I know, I'm awful, and you definitely don't deserve me, but I want to make it up to you, somehow."
It took her a while to answer, but when she did, I felt the sting in her words. "I figured that you had forgotten. You said nothing to me this morning, and I never saw an indication that you were doing anything special. I said nothing, because I thought, hey, maybe it's supposed to be a surprise, but," she took a deep breath and sighed, "maybe I'm just stupid."
"Ronnie, please," I cut in, moving to wipe a tear that had fallen down her cheek. She jerked away from me, which felt like a punch to the gut.
"(Y/N), just stop, ok? You know what you can do? You can take your pillow and sleep on the couch tonight. I want to be left alone."
"Ron-"
"Just go."
I froze, not knowing what to do. I had never heard this tone in Ronnie's voice, and it scared me, because I knew that I was the one who had done this to her. I got up to collect my pillow and blanket, my movements stunted. I guess subconsciously I figured that if I took my time getting my things, Ronnie would ask me to stay, to talk about what happened. To give me a chance to make it up. She didn't. I gathered my things, and sighing, resigned myself to a night on the couch, at Ronnie's request.
In the morning, I was woken up by a kiss on my cheek. I opened my eyes slightly, trying to adjust to the sunlight that was streaming in through the windows, and saw Ronnie sitting on the edge of the couch, smiling slightly.
"Morning," she said, lightly.
"Morning," came my groggy reply. "I'm sorry." I took her hand in mine, and smiled back at her.
"I know. I made us breakfast, to, you know, apologize for yesterday. I just kind of freaked. This is my first, real, relationship, and I don't really know how to navigate everything yet. I just wanted everything to be special. And it could have been but," she stopped and shook her head, not meeting my eyes.
"Ronnie, come on." I tilted her head so she would look at me. "Nothing was your fault yesterday. I'm the one who messed up. This is my first real relationship too, and I don't know how to do everything perfectly."
She laid down beside me, and rested her head on my shoulder. "I don't care about perfect, (Y/N). I was just hurt, because I put a lot of thought into it, and it just seemed to me that you didn't care, I guess."
"Don't care?" I chuckled, knowing that that assumption was the completely wrong one. "Ronnie, I'm half in love with you. Of course I care." It wasn't until Ronnie popped her head up that I knew what I said. It was true, but I hadn't meant to tell her that. Not yet. I wanted to tell her somewhere special, somewhere with meaning. Not just on her couch.
"You're..?
"Yeah."
"Oh, (Y/N)." Ronnie crawled on top of me and kissed me. I could feel her smiling into it, and I felt so happy knowing that she wasn't mad or hurt anymore. We laid there, her on top, kissing for a few minutes, until she pulled away, and rested her chin on her hands.
"I haven't said it yet, but I feel the same way."
"Oh, thank god," I said, teasing. "I was getting worried." I sat up on my elbows and smirked, but leaned in for another kiss. Ronnie laughed, music to my ears, and gleefully kissed me back.
"Breakfast is getting cold, by the way," she said, after pulling away. "I made us pancakes."
"Mmm, as good as that sounds," I sat up fully and wrapped my hands around her waist, "I was hoping that we could eat those cupcakes you got us."
She looped her arms around my shoulders, and rubbed her nose against mine. "They're still in my room," she whispered, and looked up at me through her eyelashes.
"Well, let's go." She started to move away, but I held onto her fast. In one swift motion, I stood up, holding Ronnie to me, and dipped her down to give her another kiss. She laughed, and asked me what I was doing.
"Making it up to you," I replied, placing kisses all over her face.
"Well, then, what are you waiting for?"
"Mmm, you're devilish, Veronica Lodge."
She smirked up at me and adjusted herself, bringing her mouth to my ear. "Just wait until we get into my bed."
I didn't need to be told twice. I quickly walked us to her room and laid her out on her bed, cupcakes already forgotten.
---
credit to riverdalewritings on Tumblr