Beside You

Tobias's POV
    I don't care if this sounds cliché, I've never been happier than I am right now with Trial sleeping next to me with her head on my shoulder and arm spread across my stomach. I've waited a year for this to happen, and even during that time I still wasn't sure.
       She nuzzles her face into the crook of my neck. I pull her closer to me and kiss the top of her head. "Tobias," she says, her voice raspy.
    "Yeah?" I ask. She runs her hand down chest.
    "I love you," she tells me. I'm not sure if she's sleeping still but I sat it back. She sits up and looks around. "This feels...weird." I run my hand down her bare back.
     She sighs. "It does, but it also feels like this is how its supposed to be," I say. She chuckles.
    "That sounds extremely cliche," she says. She turns and looks at me. "But your right. Are you sure your good enough to be in this relationship?" I groan, looking up at the ceiling.
    "Yeah, I think I am. I will never lay another hand in you in a way you don't ask for. I love you too much."
      ×××××××××××
        Six months later
             Tris's POV
     "Hey," I say as my mom and dad walk in. They knew about the divorce but I ever told them what the reason was. "Is it cold outside?"
     "Yeah," my mom says. The door to the bathroom opens and Tobias steps out, looking nervous. My parents look at me in confusion.
     "Hello," he says, offering his hand. My mom shakes it but my dad just stares. "We want to explain what happened."
     I lock eyes with him. All I knew is that we were going to tell them that we're back together. "Everything?" He nods and gestures for them to sit down. "No," I say.
      "Tris-"
      "I know that's the right thing to do, but I can't. We've been so good lately and bringing this up is gonna screw everything up for me. Can't we just make up some bullshit story?"
    He tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. "Okay," is all he says. We walk over and sit down.
     "So, since when did this-"
     "Six months ago. We didn't want to tell anymore until we were sure about this," I say. They nod. If looks could kill, my father would have murdered Tobias right now.
    "I don't know why you two divorced, but it must have been for a good reason. Why go back to each other?" My dad asks.
    "I was unfaithful," Tobias says, squeezing my hand. My parents eyes widen. "She made the right decision. And I don't deserve another shot with her, cause she's so damn amazing. I'm just a dumbass who wanted pussy."
     My mom looks at the ground. I stand up and gesture for my dad to follow me. I close the the screen door behind us. "He's lying," my dad says. My brows raise.
    "H-how do you know that?" I ask. He shakes his head at me.
    "He squeezed your hand, its his tell. I'm no Candor, but I've recognized that. And he loves you too much to do that," he explains. "So what really happened?"
     "He-he got violent...towards me when he found out about the miscarriage. We separated for two months after that, and tried again. It didn't work out because I was terrified of it happening again; he beat me when I told him I wanted out. After the divorce, he left for Amity and got help. I was a new relationship and then he came back after a year. And now here we are."
      He groans. "How can be with him? He's beat you!"
    "I know, but he got help and I honestly do believe that he's better now. It sounds crazy after what happened, but I love him. Too much."
   He pulls me into a hug. "I'm gonna respect your decision, but I'm not going to trust him."
    "I wasn't expecting more than that."

AN: I have nothing to say. Comment! Be brave 🔪🔪🔪 -Veah