Chapter 41 - 3 Words

“Leaving?” I yelled and jumped up off the bed. Derek and I had spent the entire weekend together, talking through everything and then talking about nothing. It actually made our connection stronger and now he’s leaving.

“I have to. Cora has to go back South America I can’t say anything else, but I’ll come back.”

“When?” I asked, still not happy… at all.

“I don’t know, hopefully soon, but I promise I’ll keep in touch. I’ll ring every day.” He reassured me.

“I don’t like it.”

“Neither do I.” he said, taking his hand in mine. He was sitting on the bed and I was standing in front of him. “But I have to.”

“And you can’t say why.” He shook his head in reply.

There was a knock on my door before my dad came in. When the door opened Buster padded in and wasted no time in jumping up on the bed and licking Derek. “Anna, sweetie, I have to tell you something… do you remember my friend Paul? Hello Derek.” He added on the end when he saw my boyfriend… who was back in his leather jacket which I loved.

Derek nodded as a hello.

“Yeah…?” I said, getting worried and confused.

“Well I just got a call from his wife and they just found out he has stomach cancer. They don’t expect him to live longer than a few months so I’m going to go down and see him. I’ll be there for a few weeks so I’ve arranged for you to stay at the Stilinski’s while I’m gone. I don’t want you alone in the house… especially considering there are werewolves and kanimas and hunters and demon wolves and druids and… what’s the other one?”

“Durach.” I answered. “Okay, so you don’t know when you’ll be back?”

“Not yet. I may stay until…” he trailed off thinking about the death of one of his close friends. Paul was the one who set him up for a job and an apartment after the divorce.

“Okay, just let me know.” I said.

He nodded. “The sheriff said you can have the dog at his place.” He nodded to Buster who was now sprawled out on my bed.

Well, at least Buster was staying. I nodded.

Dad left us to go and pack. I looked back down at Derek. “What? I didn’t pick this timing.” He said in defence. “The dog’s staying.” He said trying to cheer me up. Derek always called Buster the dog. Actually everyone called him the dog except me and now he thought that was his name so when Derek said it he barked and moved over to lick him again. I had to smile at that.

“Come on, if you’re leaving today, you’re taking me to school. And if I don’t get to say goodbye you better give Cora a hug from me. A big one… not one of your anti-social, arkward…”

“Okay, okay, I’ll hug Cora for you. I’ll even get her to ring you.”

“You better.” I said as I grabbed my bag and pulled Derek towards the door, leaving Buster on the bed.

We got to school and I didn’t want to get out of the car. Eventually Derek got out and opened the door for me. He lifted me up into a hug/kiss. I didn’t know when I would see him again and that scared me. What scared me more was what he couldn’t tell me about. Why he had to leave. But I had to trust him. We had come to far not to.

I was walking away when he grabbed my hand and pulled me in for another kiss. When he pulled back he wiped a piece of hair away from my eyes. What he said next I don’t think I ever expected to hear. Not from Derek. I knew it was true and I knew he did, but I never thought he could form those three little words.

“I love you.” I smiled and kissed him again.

“I love you too.”

CLOSER!!! There will be two more chapters and then an information page about Book 3 which you really need to read 'cuz it will have the name of the book and stuff. :)

FYI. There will be answers in the final chapter :) and Peter will be back. YAY!