Chapter 35 - Sacrifice

“Is she trying to say she is targeting Chris next? That doesn’t make sense, she has her three.”

“I think she’s just messing with us.” Stiles said as we drove to the Argent’s apartment. The sun was just starting to come up. None of us had slept at all.

“You don’t think she’ll go after him?” I wondered.

“No, I think she will, but the purpose of having four, I think is having all of our parents and us not knowing which one will survive.”

“So, it’s meant to put us on edge? Turn us against each other? What?”

“Both, either, just some kind reaction that won’t make us think straight.” Stiles explained.

“Right, well, she doesn’t have all of our parents. At least not all of Scott’s. We can’t tell him, at least not yet. He has enough to worry about.”

“Yeah, I agree, but we have to tell him soon. The guy, as you said, is an ass. He’ll make some grand appearance and Scott should know before he does. Do you think he requested this case? To come back here?”

“Wouldn’t surprise me if he did.” I said as we pulled up at the Argent’s apartment building.

“Alright, I told Allison about the name and that we were coming. Is Isaac here?” Stiles said.

“No, he’s at the loft with Peter. Derek won’t leave Cora and she’s only getting worse. Scott’s still not replying either, I don’t know where he and Deucalion are. Maybe we should call Deaton.”

“Not yet, but we will. Come on.” He said and walked inside the building and up to the Argent’s door. We didn’t even knock before the door swung open and Chris let us in. “Let me guess, you have hidden cameras.” Stiles said sarcastically.

“You guys took forever!” Allison said walking up to us.

“Sorry, there’s a huge storm going on outside in case you missed it.” I replied coolly, which got me a glare from Stiles.

“Come on.” Chris said and ushered us into their study. “I don’t think we have anything to worry about. The word is Guardian, something I haven’t lived up to all that well recently.” Chris said.

“The guardian’s she’s taken haven’t been coincidences, you can’t just brush it off.” Allison said.

“What if they’re already dead?” Stiles asked and sat down on a nearby seat.

“I don’t think so.” Chris begun. “There’s something about Jennifer’s tactics. It’s like she’s still positioning, like she’s still moving pieces into place.”

“And you’re one them, apparently.” I said as I sat down on another seat.

“Then we can’t waste any time.” He grabbed out a map of the Beacon Hills currents. “She already has three and now she’s after me. I can only think that one of them will be a back-up. If she messes up then she knows she won’t get a second chance at grabbing anyone else, at least no-one we know. I think that they have to be somewhere along one of these currents.”

“You seriously want to go after her?” Stiles asked. “You may be a hunter, but she took down Scott and Anna and took our dads in less than 30 seconds.”

“And could have killed us.” I added.

“Exactly. So what’s the difference between you and them?” Stiles asked.

“I’m carrying a 45.” Argent said and grabbed out his gun and loaded it. “I’d like to see how she does with half her skull blown off. We’ve only got one priority right now and that’s to find Melissa, David and the Sheriff. We have everything we need to figure it out, but the one thing we don’t have is time. Which is why I’ll need all three of you.” He let that sink in before he begun explaining. “Now, the places where the bodies have been found are different from where they were taken, I think the placement has to do with the strength of the current. There’s the school, the animal clinic and the bank. She would only use the same place twice if she didn’t succeed the first time.” He said and pointed to the bank where Scott had saved Deaton.