Chapter 27 - The Distillery

It had been just over 48 hours since Boyd’s death and no one had seen Derek since. I still couldn’t walk a few hours after and Isaac had to drive me home and carry me to my room without my dad seeing, but when I woke up I was completely healed. The next time I saw the twins, especially Aiden, there was going to be hell to pay.

Stiles, Cora and I were all in Derek’s apartment. Cora was telling some story from about 7 or 8 years ago when Derek and Peter had to go into hiding from the hunters in some place underground in the woods.

“They were there for two days. Waiting, hiding. That’s what we were told to do when the hunters found us. Hide and heal.”

“Okay, well is two days a standard then or are we thinking Derek is on some extended getaway?” Stiles responded.

“Why do you care?” Cora spun around to face him.

“Why do I care? Let’s see, because over the last few weeks my best friends have tried to kill themselves, Scott’s boss was almost ritually sacrificed, I girl I’ve known since I was three was ritually sacrificed, Boyd was killed by Alphas… I could go on… for like an hour.”

“Do you think Derek can do something about that?” Cora said as she walked closer to Stiles.

“Well, considering he seems to be the one everyone is after it seems he should do something about it.”

“I don’t know, there’s something different about him now. He wasn’t like this when I knew him.” Cora said.

“What was he like?” I asked, becoming interested.

Peter walked down from the upstairs room, “A lot like Scott, actually.” He said.

I couldn’t help smiling as I pictured Derek running around a lacrosse field, skipping school, the whole teen romance thing. I knew the story of his teen romance, he told me the whole thing about how had to kill her after she rejected the bite from an alpha. I had a feeling Peter was about to tell the story too.

“A lot like most teenagers.” Peter continued, “Romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers.”

“So what changed him?” Stiles asked.

“The same thing that changes a lot of young men… a girl.”

“You’re telling me that some girl broke his little heart, that’s why Derek is the way he his?” Stiles said, referring to Derek’s closed off and cold charisma, but I knew he wasn’t always like that. At least he wasn’t with me.

“No... She died Stiles.” I corrected him.

“Do you remember Derek, before he was an alpha, he had blue eyes.” Peter continued and Cora nodded. “Do you know why some betas have blue eyes?” Peter asked Stiles.

“Isn’t it a genetic thing?” Stiles looked at me and I shook my head. I never told him what Derek had told me about the eye colour, only the born and bitten theory.

“If you want to know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the colour of his eyes.”

Peter begun telling the story about Derek and Paige. I sat back and listened, but I didn’t understand how any of this would help us find Derek.

“If Derek was a sophomore back then, how old were you?” Stiles asked Peter and then paused. “How old are you now?”

“Not as young as we could have been, but not as old as you might think.” Peter said.

“Okay that was frustratingly vague. How old are you?” Stiles asked Cora.

“Seventeen.”

“See, that’s an answer. That’s how we answer people.” Stiles said.

“Well, seventeen how you would measure in years.” Cora added.

“Okay, I’m just gunna drop it.” Stiles said, throwing a hand in the air, causing Cora and I to smile at him. “What happened with Derek and the girl?”

“What do you think happened? They were teenagers. One minute it’s I hate you the next its frantic running around to dark corners where they can be alone for five minutes. Their favourite dark corner was an abandoned distillery outside of Beacon Hills” I was starting to think I didn’t want to hear Peter’s version of this story.

“Okay, I’ve heard this story and it’s very tragic, but how does it help us find Derek now?” I asked Peter.

He smiled at me. Not the response I was looking for so I hardened my glare. “Derek blames himself for Boyd as much as he does Paige.” Peter said, “Where do you think he is?”

I shook my head and opened my mouth to yell at him, but then it hit me. When I didn’t say anything Peter smiled again and I jumped up and grabbed my keys. “I gotta go, I’ll see you guys later!” I yelled as I headed for the door.

I heard Stiles and Cora jump up and start to follow, but I stopped them, “No, no, I don’t know if I’m right just sit down, relax, listen to the story and I’ll be back.” I said and then ran out to my car.

I grabbed my phone and started looking on maps for the distillery Peter was talking about. Eventually I found it and drove off in that direction.

It took about forty minutes to get there. I imagine it would be faster if I just cross-countried it through the woods, but with sacrifices and alphas I’d rather the car. When I pulled up I saw Derek’s car outside. I walked around the back until I found the open roller doors and Derek standing in the middle of the abandoned building staring at a huge spiral that had been ripped into the tin of the walls by what I can only assume to be a werewolf.

“Ennis did it.” Derek said, obviously knowing I was here, but he still hadn’t turned around. “The spiral. After the hunters had killed a member of his pack. I was there that night when he died. Peter saved me and then we ran off and hid for two days.” He said, recounting the story Cora had said earlier. “There’s no hiding from the alphas.”

“We’ll figure something out. What did Boyd say?” I asked.

“He said he wanted to know what the lunar eclipse felt like… for one of us.” I walked up beside Derek. “He thought it would make us stronger.”

“And will it?”

Derek looked at me and then shook his head, “It makes us human. We lose all supernatural power.”

“Then it does make us stronger.” I muttered to myself. Derek looked down at me with a confused expression. “Without their werewolf sides the twins can’t morph, Kali isn’t strong and Deucalion is just a blind man. It makes us physically weaker… but it makes us stronger than them.”