Chapter 1 - The Romantic Derek

“I can’t go tonight, Derek and I are going out. I told you that yesterday.”

“But we’re getting so close!” Isaac argued.

“Isaac, we are no-where near finding Erica and Boyd. We don’t have any leads and we’ve been looking for months. I’m not saying that we should stop looking for them, but I just think you need to take a night off. All we’ve done this week is stalk around empty allies, rustled through the forest and walked aimlessly through abandoned buildings. You need to rest. My dad will be working late tonight so you can stay at mine, watch TV and raid my pantry until he gets home. When Derek drops me off you can go back with him after.” I was trying to reason with Isaac as I was looking through my cupboard trying to find something to wear for my date with Derek tonight.

Isaac looked out my window and sighed in defeat. He was sitting on the end of my bed, crouched over – he looked exhausted and I knew he couldn’t keep this up for much longer, especially with school starting up again. “Alright, but promise me you’ll help me look again tomorrow, it’ll be our last chance before school starts.”

I looked straight into his light blue eyes and said, “I promise.”

He stood up and walked over to my cupboard and pulled out a pale green, body tight, knee length,
V-neck dress with gatherings at the sides. “It will bring out your eyes.” He said with a small smile.

I smiled back and gave him a hug, “Thank-you, just promise me you won’t go out alone.”

His reply was a small nod which I wasn’t all that confident in, but it wasn’t like I could babysit him and make him sit in the car while Derek and I had dinner. “You should probably get ready or you’ll be late.” He said, changing the subject.

I walked into my bathroom and slipped out of my jeans and singlet and into the dress. I then put a bit more make-up on then what I was already wearing, including a green eye shadow to match the dress and light pink lipstick. I undid my pony tail and let my hair fall naturally around my shoulders – thankfully I had straightened it this morning so it was sitting nicely. Once I was satisfied I left the bathroom and walked back into my room to find some shoes. Isaac was still there, but now he was lying on my bed, flipping through a book of mythology I’d bought a few days ago – it was a new hobby.

“This isn’t even accurate, it says that all werewolves are males who transform into giant wolves with pure black eyes and that their favourite prey are young, beautiful, virgin women between the ages of 15 and 25.” He said without looking up. Derek had now moved from his old apartment to a bigger, yet danker one to accommodate his pack – once we found Erica and Boyd. However, it was darker and creepier than his last (which Peter now lived in) and he hadn’t acquired anymore furniture so it was very bare and he had no TV. So as a result Isaac spent 80% of his time at my place and had gotten into the habit of making himself at home, which took a lot of encouraging to begin with.

“It’s interesting to know what different people’s opinions are.” I replied. Isaac looked up at me and stood up off the bed with a triumphant smile. “What?”

“I was right about the dress.”

I rolled my eyes at him, “Well done David Jones, now use your awesome skills to help me find shoes.”

“Oh, no, no, no, I draw the line at that. I’m your best friend not your gay best friend – that’s what Danny’s for.” He said holding his hands up and making me smile. I heard Derek pull up in the driveway so without thinking I just quickly grabbed a pair of simple black heels and put them on and chucked my phone, cash and a bit of make-up in a black clutch.

“Okay, that’s my queue, don’t make too much of a mess and don’t eat all my Doritos.” I said before giving him another hug.

“And risk losing my head?” I chuckled and ran out of my bedroom door and walked down the stairs to find Derek waiting for me at the bottom. He of course didn’t stray too far from his usual attire except he was wearing what I’m assuming to be a new shirt.

Once I reached him he put one hand around my waist and gave me a quick kiss before whispering in my ear, “You look beautiful.”

I smiled up at him, “You don’t look to bad yourself, boss.” He rolled his eyes at my old nickname for him which I still liked to use now and again.

“Come on, we have a reservation to make.” He said leading me to his car and opening the door for me.

“You actually made a reservation?”

“I did.” he said with a smile as I sat down in the car.

“Mr. Hale you’re full of surprises.”

“You haven’t seen anything yet.” He said as he closed my door.

We had been driving for a good 15 minutes before I couldn’t contain it any longer. “Okay, this is ridiculous. You know I’m not a patient person, were are you taking me?” I demanded, although my demand was slightly weakened by the smile that was adamant about staying glued to my face.

“Right here.” He said as he pulled up next to a cute little restaurant which was completely abandoned except for one waiter. Derek escorted me into the restaurant and greeted the waiter. As he was doing this I took a closer look at my surroundings. It was beautiful. The lights had been dimmed and there were candles surrounding us. There were dinner tables against the walls, all containing a single red rose in the centre, but the middle of the room had been cleared, apart from one cute little round table with a single white rose in the centre and candles on either side. Once Derek finished talking to the waiter he pulled out a chair for me on the small table and I sat down, still awestruck by my surroundings.

“So what do you think?” Derek asked.

“It’s beautiful.” Was all I could muster, Derek had been known to be a bit romantic at times – the occasional flowers, chocolates (which my dad usually beat me to) – but never like this and I wondered if I was missing something.

“Well I thought it was adequate. Three months wouldn’t normally be considered a huge mile stone in a relationship, but in a town with supernatural creatures, hunters and the other things going on I thought it was necessary and I think both you and I need something to take our mind of things.” He said not mentioning Erica and Boyd to avoid spoiling the mood.

“Well, I have to admit I am very impressed and this behaviour should definitely be encouraged, however, I do sense Peter’s influence when it came to buying out the restaurant for the night and the private waiter?” I asked, but I already knew the answer.

“Well… he does have his uses at times.” Derek said before the waiter came over. This made me smile. Derek and Peter didn’t get along unless I was there to keep the piece.

We ordered our food and drink and while waiting for it to come out we talked. Not about anything of importance and certainly no supernatural stuff, but just general chit chat. Before I knew it we had finished our meals and had been there for a couple of hours and it was time to go home. Derek walked me to my front door and gave me a kiss before coming inside to collect Isaac. Instead we came across my dad.

“Hey, dad.” I said as I walked into the kitchen to find him putting a homemade pizza in the oven.

“Hey, kiddo…” he said and then trailed off when he saw Derek, “and Derek.” He said with a protective edge to his tone before looking at the clock to see that it was 11:30 p.m. which was probably a bit too late to be coming home in his book, but he didn’t say anything. Like I said he was coming around.

“Hello Mr. Fields, how are you today?” Derek asked politely. He always acted different around my dad, like he had to make a good impression.

“Not too bad.” Dad replied.

“Is Isaac here? He was staying over until we got back.” I asked my dad.

“Nope, wasn’t here when I came home either.”

“Really? How long have you been home?”

“An hour or so. Alright, I’m going to have a shower while the pizza’s cooking.” He said and walked upstairs. My heart started pounding, I knew exactly what Isaac was doing.