Flashback Part 4 - Five Cents

Flashback

“Five cents?” I almost yelled. “You aren’t going to sell me an ice coffee because I’m five cents short?” I was at a fuel station. I had just filled up on fuel and I wanted an ice coffee. Scott was on his double date with Allison, Lydia and Jackson, and Stiles was doing… Stiles things.

“I’m sorry, ma’am”

Ma’am? Did I look 40? I wanted to say it, but instead I took a deep breath and was about to walk out when someone behind me placed a five cent coin on the counter.

“Here.” I turned around to see a familiar face. The same one I had seen when I was in the woods with the guys… Derek Hale. I was about to protest, but he stopped me. “Take it. It’s five cents.” He looked at the guy behind the counter and said, “It’s nothing.” I smiled at that.

“Thank-you.” I said, grabbing my ice coffee and glared at the counter guy whose name was apparently Gus, according to his badge.

Derek Hale nodded and then turned to the guy to pay for his fuel and I left. I got to my car just as Stiles started to ring me.

“Hey Stilinski, what’s happin’?” I answered, juggling my car keys, my ice coffee and my phone.

“Why aren’t you at home? There’s a curfew… and your window’s locked.” A soft laugh escaped my lips.

“So are you more concerned for my safety with being outside when there’s a mass murderer on the loose or are you cold?”

“Both.”

“Mum’s at work, you can use the front door and the spare key under the pot.”

“Oh, well you could have mentioned that sooner.”

“I’ll see you soon, Stiles.” I hung up and jumped in the car. Ten minutes later I arrived home to find Stiles spread out on the living room couch. “Are those my Doritos?”

“Ummmm… No?” he said as he was about to put another chip in his mouth. I rolled my eyes and jumped on the sofa next to him.

“So what brings you here in the middle of a curfew?”

“Just checking that you’re safe and not being murdered.”

“Ah-huh. Well I’m perfectly fine. So I hear Scott is bowling.”

“Yep.” He said, popping he p.

“And why aren’t we there filming? Could come in handy on his 21st birthday.” I joked. Scott was a horrible bowler. Painfully horrible.

“Because if we did we wouldn’t make it to his 21st birthday alive.”

“That is very true. So, you won’t guess who I saw at the fuel station, just before you rang me.”

“Jim Carry?”

“Nope, hotter.”

“Megan Fox?”

“More masculine.”

“Michelle Bridges?”

“Oh for the love of god, Stiles. Derek Hale.”

“What?” Stiles practically yelled it.

“Calm down, Stilinski. Yeah he was in line behind me. The cashier wouldn’t let me buy my ice coffee ‘cuz I was five cents short, so he gave me the five cents.”

“What? Did he recognise you? What did he say? Did he mention the woods?” Stiles was still yelling and I had no idea why.

“What is the matter with you? I don’t know if recognised me, he didn’t really say anything.”

“I have to go.”

“What? Why? What’s going on?”

“Nothing! I just remembered that my dad’s a cop and if I’m not home during a curfew I’ll be grounded. See ya!” Stiles blurted and ran out the door.

What the hell was that about?