Chapter 8 - I Promise

“No, she’s not dead!” Derek yelled, pacing back and forth in the room. I hadn’t said anything in a while. I was just kind of standing there, trying to process the possibility that Erica was dead. Scott had moved next to me and put an arm around my shoulder to try and comfort me.

“Derek, he said ‘there’s a dead body. It’s Erica.’ Doesn’t really leave much room for interpretation.” Stiles said, making me flinch as the words came out of his mouth.

“Then who was in the volt with Boyd?” Derek said, glaring at Stiles.

“Obviously someone else.”

“Maybe it was the girl on the motorcycle.” Scott said, talking about the unknown chic who saved Isaac.

“No, she wasn’t like us and whoever was in the volt with Boyd was.” Isaac said from his current position sitting on the table behind us.

“Maybe that’s how Erica died? They pit them against each other on the full moons and see which one survives.” Stiles explained. Just the thought of it made me want to throw up.

“Then we get them out tonight.”

“Be smart about this Derek. You can’t just go storming in.” Deaton said.

“If Isaac got in then so can we.”

“But he didn’t get through a volt door. Did he?” Deaton stated.

“We need a plan.” Scott said kind of obviously.

“How are we gunna come up with a plan to brake unto a bank volt in less than 24 hours?” Derek said as he glared at Scott like he was an idiot. I loved that glare, it was what made Derek… well Derek.

“Aaah, I think someone already did. Beacon Hills first National closes its doors after bank robbery.” Stiles said, reading an article off his phone. “Doesn’t say here how it was robbed, but it probably won’t take long to find out.”

“How long?”

Stiles scoffed, “It’s the internet, Derek. Minutes.” He said as if it was the easiest thing on the planet.

After that Stiles and Scott went back to Stiles’ house to research how to break into a bank volt while Isaac and Derek went back to the loft, but not before dropping me off at school because you know – education comes first, even when one of your best friends is more than likely dead and another had 24 hours to live. I was going to play the ‘Aiden won’t leave me alone card,’ but I figured that would end in a fight between two alphas in the school hallways and would probably result in Derek; A – ending up in jail or B – dead when Aiden morphs with his twin. So I reluctantly went to finish the seemingly never ending day of school, thankfully with no appearances from Aiden or Ethan.

After school I didn’t bother going to see Stiles and Scott knowing full well that their task wasn’t going to be as easy as Stiles had intended and they wouldn’t need any distractions so I walked to the book store after texting Derek and asking him to pick me up there instead of school in half an hour. I wanted to buy another mythology book. Once I’d found one that I didn’t yet own I walked out and got in Derek’s car and he started to drive back to my place.

“What’d you buy?” He asked looking at the bag.

“Nothing important, just a hobby.” I said smirking at him as we pulled up to my house. Derek got out of the car and quickly walked around to open my door before I could. I gave him a quick kiss once I got out.

“What was that for?”

“A thank-you.”

“Hmmm, note to self; be more chivalrous.” He said as he grabbed my bags and started heading inside. Once we got inside Derek placed my bags on the kitchen table and got out my new book. “Another one? You know these people have no idea what they’re talking about.”

“Well maybe one day I’ll find one that has the right facts about werewolves and then I can take it on faith that everything else will be right as well.”

“This isn’t about what else could be out there is it? It’s about your eyes.”

“Well you have no idea what it means, neither does Peter so how else am I meant to find out?”

“Peter knows a lot more than he lets on.” Derek said, turning around to face me and placing his hands on either side of my waist. “There’s also something I should probably tell you.”

“Oh god, those sentences never come with good news.”

“It’s not that bad. It’s about what causes the change from gold to blue.”

“You already told me that…” I said a little weary.

“Well… not exactly. Every beta starts off with gold eyes. I told you the born a bitten theory because I needed you to trust me and if I told you the real reason of how a werewolf acquires the blue colour then I didn’t think you would.”

“You’re really not doing well at explaining this to me without freaking me out, Derek.”

“It happens when a werewolf takes an innocent life.” He said without looking me in the eye.

“What…?”

“I was 15. My girlfriend at the time was bitten by an alpha from another pack. She started to reject the bite. She was dying and in pain and asked me to make it stop… so I did.”

“You thought I wouldn’t trust you if you told me this? It wasn’t your fault. She would have died anyway, you just took away her pain.” I said as I took his hands in mine.

Derek looked me in the eye and place a kiss on my forehead, “Any word from Scott and Stiles?” He asked changing the subject.

“No, but they would’ve called me if they’d found anything out. Don’t worry, if there’s one thing Stiles knows how to do it’s find out the impossible.” Bringing up this topic reminded me of Erica and the very faint smile I had on my lips was completely erased and I dropped my eyes to the floor. I felt Derek’s hand under my chin as he lifted my head up to him revealing the slowly growing tears in my eyes.

Derek pulled me into a hug and kissed the top of my head, “We’ll get Boyd back.”

“But what if Scott and Stiles can’t find anything? We’ve already lost Erica, I… I can’t…”

“Hey, look at me.” Derek repeated his earlier action and lifted my chin up, “We don’t know that for sure and I’ll do everything in my power to get Boyd back. I promise.”

OMG!!! Getting so close to Cora!!!!!!!!!! Please comment and vote. I would LOVE some more feedback :) xoxoxoxo Love Ya'll <3