Imagine for LilReoSpeedwagon

Thanks, LilReoSpeedwagon for the request!

"Could you pass the salt, Hunter?" I ask my husband across the table. I feel frustration bubble up inside me as he just keeps eating his food, an impassive look on his face. He's been like this for a few days; unresponsive, brooding, stoic. No matter how hard I try I just can't get him to talk to me.

"Hunt."

"Huh?" He murmurs, snapping his head up to meet my eyes. I point at the small shaker next to his plate.

"The salt."

"Oh." He slides the salt shaker easily across the table before diving back into his food.

"What's wrong, Hunt?"

"Hm? Nothing. I'm fine," he brushes me off and continues to cut into his chicken. I frown and set my fork down, readying myself for the impending confrontation. "What happened to us?" I ask, not even making him look up. "You won't talk to me; you can't even look at me!" I can't help the rise in my voice as my emotions start to shatter my resolve. Hunter stands abruptly, pushing his plate to the side as he grasps at his hair.

"Nothing's wrong!" he roars, making me sink back into my chair. "Why can't you just leave me alone?!"

"I–I'm sorry," I stutter, and push my chair out to leave him at the table as I retreat to our bedroom. I hear a sigh behind me but no footsteps.

I can't help the tear that streaks down my face as I let myself fall into the bed and curl around a pillow. This isn't how our marriage is supposed to go; we're supposed to be open with each other and communicate. Where did I go wrong?

A sudden dip in the bed beside me alerts me of Hunter's presence. His arms wind around my waist as he props his head up on my shoulder. Not being able to resist his hold, I turn around to face him and hug him to me, feeling his strong arms tighten around my body. His chest rises and falls as he takes a drastic breath.

"I'm sorry."

I just sniffle and burrow my face in his chest. I feel his hand move through my hair softly, making me feel butterflies like I used to when we were dating.

"Work has been crazy lately and I took it out on you when I shouldn't have."

I shake my head in his chest and hug him closer still.

"No, I'm sorry; I shouldn't have provoked you."

"Hey," he says, gently pushing a strand of hair behind my ear and pressing a quick kiss to my forehead. His eyes search mine as he withdrawals slightly. "I love you."

I feel my heart melt at the three words that started everything.

"I love you, too."

<><><>

DO NOT FRET I AM NOT DEAD!

I'm so sorry to everyone that I've been MIA for so long! I know, I'm the worst, blah blah blah, but hey, here's a random update?

Special sorry to LilReoSpeedwagon for taking (almost) literally forever to update your request.