Imagine for a_breeze_blowing_by

Thank you so much, a_breeze_blowing_by for requesting this amazing imagine! Thanks for also being extremely patient! Read on!

Tears flow down my face and sobs rack through my body as I try desperately to open the door. It doesn't give, so I pull a bobby pin from my hair and attempt to pick it. My wild short hair obscures my vision along with my tears, but my lock-picking skills work and the door swings open. I push it open and close it behind me. All light coming in from the outside is locked out, making the entire room eerily dark. I can barely make out the stage and seats. I wipe my sleeved arm over my eyes and sniffle, and attempt to climb the steps to the light room. I open the squeaky door to the room that controls the lights and such and turn on one stagelight. Once I flip the switch, a light from the ceiling of the stadium flickers on. A circle of light illuminates a mic on a stand.

I make my way back down there and lift myself onto the stage. I didn't trust myself with climbing the steps onto the stage in the dark.

I stand in front of the mic and tap on it to make sure it's not on. I didn't want my voice to be too loud, but the feeling of singing into a microphone made me feel confident. Confidence isn't a familiar feeling to me, so it's nice to come here and let go for a while, even if just for one song. My parents were killed in a house fire that I lived through three years ago. I live with my aunt and uncle, but they act as if I'm not even there. I miss my parents terribly. With their passing, I became reserved and wouldn't talk to anybody. All my friends complied for a while, but after a year, when they realized I still wasn't done grieving, they gave up on me. I became a social outcast, and soon I was the target for bullies.

I turn around and sit at the dark piano in center stage. I stretch my fingers out above the keys and start to play without hesitation. I didn't realize what song I was playing because it felt too natural, so I played. As my fingers roamed the keys, I couldn't help but think back at all the mean things the bullies at school have said, and about what my parents used to tell me when I was picked on. Now they can't help me, and now I'll never see them again.

"It's been a long day without you my friend, and I'll tell you all about it when I see you again.
We've come along way from where we began. Oh I'll tell you all about it when I see you again.
When I see you again.

Why'd you have to leave so soon? Why'd you have to go?
Why'd you have then I needed you the most?
Cause I don't really know how to tell ya without feeling much worse.
I know you're in a better place and it's always gonna hurt.
Carry on, give me all the strength I need to carry on.

It's been a long day without you my friend and I'll tell you all about it when I see you again.
We've come a long way from where we began. Oh I'll tell you all about it when I see you again. When I see you again."

I raise my voice for the high parts that follow. My voice trembles as I sing and tears flow more fiercely from my eyes, but I keep going. The song makes my heart hurt from all the pain I've felt over the past few years.

"How do I breath without you?
Feeling so cold.
I'll be waiting right here for you till the day you're home.

Carry on, give me all the strength I need
To carry on.
So let the light guide your way
Hold every memory as you go."

My voice cracks and a sob rips through my voice, making my singing cease. I continue playing the song on the piano, but my voice doesn't join. Suddenly, I hear the sound of clapping. My head whips up and my eyes make contact with the brightest blue eyes I've ever seen, sitting in the front row of the abandoned stadium. The person clapping has a tear running down his cheek and dark blonde hair. His hair is swooped to the side, creating some kind of wave.

I gasp and run off the stage when I realize who it is.

Hunter Hayes.

I jump off the stage and try to make a break for it towards the door.

"Wait!" his desperate voice calls after me, but I keep running. Suddenly, my foot catches on a step and I fall forward. I brace myself for the fall, but instead, I feel a pair of gentle arms catch me.

"Woah, are you okay?" he asks. I struggle out of his grasp, but he keeps a firm grip on me. "Hey hey hey, it's okay, I'm not going to hurt you," he assures me. I calm down a little, and his grip loosens. I take a step back and sniffle.

"Sorry I was trespassing. I didn't realize people used this stadium still," I said. I inwardly cringed at the crack in my voice and how you could tell I was crying.

Hunter smiles, warming my heart. "You're voice is beautiful," he says out of the blue, making me blush.

"Hey, are you the one that picks the locks and leaves the lights on everyday?" he suddenly asks. I nod and laugh. He laughs, too.

"Oh man, Matt thought that the place was haunted."

I laugh again. We just stand there for a while later, him watching me and me glancing around nervously. I start to step around him towards the door, but he extends a hand.

"I'm Hunter," he says. I blush and take his hand in mine hesitantly.

"Codie," I reply.

"If you don't mind my asking, why do you come here to sing?" he asks, seeming genuinely curious.

"It helps me relieve stress," I answer, a bit sheepishly. I duck my head and stare at the floor, embarrassed. When I don't hear him say anything else, I look up to find him studying my face. I freeze, knowing that he must've noticed I've been crying.

"Are you okay?" Hunter asks, his voice gentle as he steps closer. I back up and fold my arms over my chest.

"I'm fine." Even as I say it, tears brim my eyes. I remember why I was here in the first place; the bullies, my parents' death.

I turn away from Hunter as my tears start to fall.

"I, I can leave, if you wanted to relieve more stress," he says to my back. Before I get the chance to reply, though, a man's voice calls out, "Hunter! We having a jam session or not?!"

"Maybe some other time, Matt!" Hunter calls back, surprising me. I turn back around.

"Thank you," I say, then walk around him towards the stage again. I hear his footsteps as he starts to walk away, too, and something comes over me. "Wait."

I turn around and wait for Hunter to do the same. As soon as he does, I envelop him in a hug. His hesitant arms wrap around my waist.

"It's been a long time since someone has ever thought about my feelings," I cry into his shoulder. His arms tighten around me before he lets go. As soon as the hug is over, I scurry away before I can further embarrass myself.