Single Mom

You and your daughter, Lily, are at the grocery store. Your husband walked out on you a year ago, and he had completely disappeared from your life, leaving you with raising your daughter on your own. 

You're sifting through different types of coffee while on the phone with your sister, when you look up and see that Lily is nowhere in sight. "I'll call you back," you say into the phone before hanging up. You start to walk around and peek into each surrounding isle, but when you've been walking around it a few times you start to get frantic. You walk up to each person you see and ask them if they've seen a little girl with brown pigtails and wearing a pink The Little Mermaid dress all by herself. They all shake their heads and mumble, "Sorry." You start to freak out as you pace back and forth, biting your lip anxiously. 

You decide to ask the grocery store owners if they could ask for her over the intercom, so you fast walk across the store, but you stop in your tracks when you hear your little girl's voice. 

"I can't find Mommy," you hear her say. You frantically whip your head around to find her and spot her in the toy isle. You walk over there and notice she's talking to a guy around your age with spikey dark blonde hair and bright blue eyes. 

"What's your name, sweetie?" he asks in a gentle voice, crouching to her height. Lily sniffles and wipes her eyes. "Lily." He smiles warmly at your daughter. "Okay Lily, I'm going to help you find Mommy, okay?" "Okay." Lily sniffles again. The guy stands and your daughter slips her small hand into his big hand.

 "Lily!" you exclaim, running to her and lifting her into your arms. "Mommy!" she squeals, hugging you tight. You feel a tear escape and roll down your face, so you quickly wipe it away. 

"Well, that was easy," the guy says, and you look over at him with a happy smile. "Thank you so much. I don't know what I would've done if someone took her." He smiles brightly and steps a little closer. "I didn't really do anything, I'm just glad she found you." You let out a relieved sigh and hug your daughter closer to your body. "Me too." 

"Uhm, I'm Hunter," he offers his name to you, sticking out a hand. You shake his hand and smile. "Y/N." 

"I'm sure you and your husband are very proud of Lily, she's such a sweetheart," Hunter says, waving to your daughter as she smiles bashfully. You blush and put her down and slip your hand into her's. "Actually, I'm not married anymore," you reply, sounding sheepish and embarrassed. He looks shocked. "Being a single mom's gotta be hard. Here, if you need anything, just call, okay?" He slips a piece of paper into your hands with a phone number on it. You feel your face tint pink as you place it in your pocket. "Thank you, most people aren't so considerate." "Don't hesitate to call, okay? I mean, you don't have to if you don't want to, we barely know each other, but if you need something, anything, I'm free," he rambles, rubbing the back of his neck. 

He lets out a nervous chuckle. "Sorry, I'm kind of awkward. I understand if you don't want to call." You break into a smile and laugh a little. "You're fine, I'm the same way. I'll call you later, okay?" 

"Great! Uh, I mean, that's good. Yeah." 

You laugh and take squeeze your daughter's hand. "Thanks again, bye Hunter." "Bye," he replies, a smile intruding on his features. You chuckle and walk toward the checkout. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I might make a part two to this. Thanks for reading! Read! Vote! Comment what you thought!