Past (Part 2)

(Part 2 to Past. Just a little recap: You are a new artist in country music and you had a rough past. You wore no sleeves for the first time, exposing your scarred wrists, when your mentor Hunter Hayes drops by unannounced. With pizza. Anyways, he saw the scars and before he could say anything you pushed him out of your house and locked him out.)

"I think you should go." You close your eyes and fight back tears of shame and regret. Why did I have to wear no sleeves tonight?

"Fine. I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight, Y/N," Hunter's defeated voice rings in the air, and you hear his footsteps as he walks away. You sigh and run a shaky hand through your hair, knowing Hunter's never going to give this up. 

***

You wake up refreshed and ready to head to the studio for a full day of music making. You quickly change out of your pajamas and into a pair of comfy jean shorts, a Cubs jersey with a long sleeve underneath because they are going to WIN the world series, and a pair of white converse. You barely put any makeup on and head out the door, grabbing your Cubs baseball hat on the way and slipping it on. You stop by a local coffee shop before stepping into the building you call your second home; the studio.

You inhale a deep breath, relishing the fresh scent of music making. Yes, it has a smell to you.

Suddenly you hear the door to the studio open behind you, so you turn around, only to see Hunter. He had bags under his eyes and a sad smile forced onto his lips. Immediately, the events from last night flood your mind and your mood plummets.

"Y/N-" he starts, but you cut him off. "I really don't want to talk about it, Hunter. Please."

He purses his lips, but nods, despite his reluctance. You smile at him appreciatively.

"Okay, let's get to work, shall we?"

***
Hours later, you have your new song recorded and both you and Hunter are exhausted.

"You did good today, Y/N," he tells you as you are about to pass out on the couch in the studio. You yawn and roll over to read the time. It was only six in the afternoon and you were tired.

"Thanks, Hunt." You yawn again and stretch out on the couch, blinking slowly. Hunter chuckles from his spot on a stool as he strums a random chord on his Martin guitar.

"Tired?"

"You bet," you reply, closing your eyes. He speaks up again, starting to strum a slow tune. "You want some coffee?"

You sit up and perch your chin on your hands. "Do you mind?"

He smiles and sets his guitar on the floor, getting up from sitting on the stool. "Not at all, I was actually going to get myself some, but I thought maybe you could use the caffeine, too."

You smile and relax back into the sofa. "Thanks." After a few seconds of not hearing any movement, you open your eyes again to see what Hunter's doing. You spot him just standing still, looking at you with a concerned expression on his face.

"What's up?" you ask. He bites his lip and runs a hand through his hair nervously. "It's just, a-are you going to be okay here by yourself?" he stutters. You knit your eyebrows together. "What are you talking about? I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" he persists, still standing beside the stool. You begin to grow frustrated at his questioning. "Yes, Hunt, I'm sure. What's this about?"

He doesn't meet your gaze and rubs the back of his head anxiously, not answering your question. You stand up and walk until you're standing right in front of him. "Hunter. What's wrong?" He still won't look at you as he stands there, hanging his head.

"You know," he whispers. You still don't know what he's talking about.

"Hunt, I have no idea what you're talking about," you say, voicing your thoughts. He just sighs and takes your hand in his. You're about to ask him what he's doing as he rolls your sleeve up and exposes your wrist. Your mouth immediately goes dry as you realize he didn't want to leave you alone because he didn't want you to do it again.

Your eyes slowly move up to meet his. You're surprised to see is blue eyes staring right back at you.

"Hunt, I...I haven't done that in a while," you stutter, gently pulling your arm out of his grasp. He lets go without a second thought and closes his eyes.

"It hurts me to know that you would do that to yourself. I can't... I just can't imagine you ever doing that again. I couldn't live with myself if you did," he confesses, taking hold of both of your hands in his. He runs his thumbs gently over the backs of your hands, making your insides swarm with butterflies.

"I'm fine," you squeak, barely able to talk from holding back the waterfalls behind your eyes. Hearing him say all that made you want to break down sobbing. You felt so guilty for making him feel like that.

He doesn't say anything, but instead pulls you into a gentle hug. You close your eyes as a single tear falls from your eye and lands on his shoulder.

After an eternity of him holding you in his safe embrace, you pull away. He keeps you at arms length, not seeming to want to let you go. You smile up at him through your tears.

"Thank you," you whisper. Your voice is sore from holding back all those tears.

"C'mon," he whispers back with a crooked smile, lightly tugging on one of your hands. You furrow your eyebrows and look up at him. "Where are we going?"

"To go get coffee."

<><><><>

Hopefully that makes up for my sudden disappearance.

So this part 2 was requested by none other than the fantastic hayniaczone

Stay tuned for a part 2 to Somebody' Heartbreak requested by the wonderful SydneyHopeVampire! I promise it's coming soon!

Thanks!