Chapter Sixteen

"Don't get me started on what it means to be alive. You're lying to yourself and then you still act surprised cause you're scared, can't come to terms with what you are. The wolves in sheep's clothing will only lead you so far. You'll wait, and they'll go 'cause in the end we all end up alone. So just wait, you'll know."

- This Is The House That Doubt Built by: A Day To Remember

---------------------------

Ariella’s POV

            I barely had time to move before Steve lunged for me. I quickly moved out of the way.

“CHRISTIAN! GEMMA!” I screamed.

Steve yanked me up by my hair and spun me around so that I was facing the front door. He held a knife to my neck. When Christian and Gemma came running in, they both froze in place.

“You shouldn’t have left me, Ariella,” Steve said, pressing the knife harder against my neck.

I saw Christian whisper something in Gemma’s ear and she ran back outside.

Christian looked at Steve and then ran towards him at a fast pace. Steve wasn’t expecting this so he dropped the knife in surprise and then the both of us fell back once we were hit from Christian’s impact.

I tried to crawl away but Steve grabbed my ankle and pulled me back in his direction.

I let out a mangled scream and Steve hit me in the stomach. I groaned and my body contorted in pain.

Christian put Steve in a headlock and I went to grab the knife that Steve dropped on the floor, but he stepped on my hand and I cried out in pain. I took a swift kick to my left cheek and fell to the ground. I stood up and then Steve managed to get another knife out of his pocket and cut Christian’s arm with it.

Christian hissed in pain and ran over to stand beside me. Steve was standing a few feet away from us and was taunting Christian and me with his knife. I eyed the knife on the ground and decided not to go for it. Steve could slit my throat faster than I could reach for the knife.

Christian and I looked at each other. All of a sudden, the police burst through the front door with Gemma trailing behind them. Three men tackled Steve to the floor and snatched the knife away from him, and they also took the one on the ground as evidence. Gemma’s eyes widened as she looked at Christian and I. His arm was bloody whereas my face was.

I heard Steve scream and yell and to be honest, it terrorized me. His screams were like one of those horrifying ones that you just never forget. He was psychotic. Christian just put his arm around me and I buried my face in his chest. I immediately jumped back because I knew I’d get blood on his shirt. Surely enough I did get blood on it.

“Sorry, Christian,” I said.

“It’s no problem,” He said softly.

“Thank you,” I said.

“It was no problem. Who was that?” He asked.

“My step-father,” I admitted.

Christian’s jaw tightened, and he said, “Violence in a family or in a relationship is just something I’ve never understood. I know people have bad tempers, but I would never resort to violence against someone that I loved.”

“He never cared for me the way a step-father should,” I said.