Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

Aiden-

It's two days after the whole sprinkler incident and the whole cast is standing outside the local grocery store, about one mile from the high school.  A big, bright pink sign (courtesy of Ashley's handi-work) says "Drama Department Car Wash. Donations appreciated." Ashley, Nikki, Sarah, Samantha, and Holly are standing around in ragged old t-shirts.

"Wouldn't we get more donations if you guys took off your shirts or something?" Corbin said.

Sarah glared at her boyfriend. "Could you not be a pig, for like, two seconds?" She asked.

He shrugged. "Just trying to help."

"Where's Caleb?" Samantha demanded.

No one else knew that Caleb was the reason we were doing this. The reason that we needed donations in the first place. I hadn't told anyone about what had happened in the dressing room that day. I couldn't bring myself to let them all know that one of our own had purposefully sabotaged us.

"Doesn't matter, let's just get to work." I said.

"What work? No one's stopping for us." Lance complained.

"Well, sorry us girls forgot our bikinis. Silly us," Nikki said.

"But there has to be some way to attract people," Ashley said.

Everyone pondered for a moment.

"I got nothin," Lance thought it was relevant to say.

"Let's face it, no one likes the drama department." I said.

"No one likes you," Holly said.

"God, shut up Holly," I said.

"You shut up." She stated.

"Guys, stop," Samantha said.

"We're all so sick of your crap," I insisted.

"My crap?" Sam exclaimed.

"No not your crap. Her crap," I said.

Holly grabbed the hose nearest her and sprayed me, full nozzle.

"Holly, what the-..Shit. Now my shirt's all wet."

I couldn't very well go around with my shirt uncomfortably sticking to my chest. I whipped it off and threw it at Holly, where it landed with a flop on her face. I did not try to stifle my laughter.

Just then a car pulled up.  A woman, probably in her thirties, rolled down her window and peered up at me through over-sized sunglasses.

"Well, hey there sport, can you help a girl out and sud up my car?" She said with a wink.

Her eyes dropped from my own eyes to my chest...then a little lower.

"Sure thing," I said, turning quickly and running into Simon.

"I feel violated," I said.

He looked me up and down just like the lady. "Yeah, well then don't put your goods out on display," He said with a laugh, whipping me on the butt with a towel.

I started wiping down her car with a sponge, Simon working at it after me with the towel. In the next moment, a car full of volleyball players from our school, clad in their uniforms pulled up.

"Hi, Aiden," The driver, Macy Thompson, said with a flirty pitch to her voice.

"Well, screw this, I'm gonna strip down too," Lance said, feeling neglected.

Pretty soon, Lance, Corbin, Simon and I were working a line full of cars. Being shirtless has its perks. I even saw Lance make soap suds drip down his chest on purpose. He's a tool, but it was funny, nevertheless.

Afterwards we all lay in a sweaty heap in the grass, the girls counting up the money.

"Gosh, I'm all worn out," Ashley said.

"Whatever, you didn't even do anything," Simon said.

"Yeah, but I watched you work really hard. That itself made me tired." She said, smiling.

"You're full of it," Simon said, pushing her playfully.

I noticed Sarah glare from where she was standing over by Samantha, Nikki, and Holly.

"Five hundred dollars," Samantha announced. "That should be enough to scrape by on the sets, and the costumes weren't ruined so we're good!"

We cheered from the grass and us guys decided it was time for a nap.

"We work hard for our money. So hard for it honey," I heard Simon sing in a horrible falsetto before I passed out.