Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Aiden-

"I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like I j-just swallowed a.....kitten!" I heard myself exclaim.

Caleb just sat, slumped against the trunk of the tree that was covered in what's it called? Oh yeah, moss.

Caleb's red and black plaid shirt caught my attention. I liked it.

"Woah...." I said.

In the next moment, I was rolling on the ground, clutching my sides in hysterical laughter just because I could not believe I was high...for the first time in my life. I rolled in the grass, taking in the scent. I ended up rolling up next to Caleb's side.

"Wow, it really is your first time. You're fucked up; most people don't react to pot that way," He said in a deep voice.

I tried to nod. Instead, I ended up with my face on his ripped up old jeans.

"Where are you from?" I managed to ask.

"The one and only NYC, but I think Tammy already told you that," He said.

"Ope! Yep! Your lesbian mother! Why do you call her by her first name?" I questioned.

"Because I do. Plus, she doesn't mind. She's a modern woman, and all. Or at least that's the shit she feeds me," He said, playing with my brown hair.

I wrapped my arms around his waist while we were on the ground.

"I don't think you're from New York City...." I blubbered.

"Yeah?" He said looking at me with glazed eyes.

"I think you're from a whole diff-different planet," I said dreamily.

"What the hell?" He pondered out loud.

"You're so....different.....not like.... oh that damn Rutherford. I wanted to defend you, in the lot. Even though it's your fault we're both probably gonna get our asses kicked.....your eyes are so dark," I said all this in a high rush.

"You know what I wanna do?" Caleb said.

"What's that?" I asked, feeling a tad sleepy and snuggling up to his chest, feeling my inhibitions fall farther and farther away.

"I want to go jump off a bridge."

"Yeah?" I laughed in my influenced state.

"Yeah....let's find a bridge," He said, grabbing my hand.

"Oh yeah....you're so funny," I said, with laughter.

But Caleb had no laughter in his voice. Only grimness filled his eyes as he said, "I'm not so funny."

"I think I like dudes!" I blurted out.

I clamped my hand over my mouth at a pathetic attempt to hide what I had said. I was very sleepy, and Caleb never said anything after that. Had he even heard what I said?

As I started to drift into a brightly colored dream of swirling pinwheels, I hesitantly wondered, just for a moment:

Did he really want to jump off a bridge? And was there something more than pot in the substance I smoked?

I finally drifted into unconsciousness. On a mountain stood Simon, tall and valiant looking; it seemed as if he had just conquered the world. I tried to climb up the mountain to reach him. He held out a hand, a bright smile on his face.

"Come with me, Aiden," He said.

Then something grabbed me and tried to pull me backwards.

"Let go!" I exclaimed.

I looked back to see Caleb, cast in darkness.

"Come with me," He said darkly.

"Jump with me....."

When I woke up, Caleb was looking down at me, as I was still clinging to his side. I pried myself off of him quickly. The effects of the pot were definitely worn off. And I was embarrassed.

"Sorry," I grumbled.

I was really thirsty. Not to mention hungry.

"Sup, Sleeping Beauty," Caleb said with a smirk that was beginning to grow familiar.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Like almost two," He said without even glancing at a watch.

"Shit!" I exclaimed. "I'm going to get in so much trouble. My parents are going to kill me. Why did I listen to you, I-" I ranted but was cut off when Caleb pressed his fingers to my lips.

"You hungry?"

I couldn't help but nod.

"How does McDonald's sound?" He said, getting up and walking away without even waiting for an answer.

The sound of my stomach growling answered for me.