Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Aiden-

"This is Jack. We call him Jack because everyone thinks he's like kinda scary, like Jack the Ripper you know? But really he's just a sweetheart," Samantha said.

We were at the animal shelter and it was a decent Saturday afternoon. I had met Samantha here, and she looked right at home among the animals that she was giving up her free time to help. In fact, around the animals, Samantha had a glow about her. Her long brown hair looked silky and smooth and her eyes were shining with happiness. She looked beautiful.

I looked over at Jack, a great big greyhound. He certainly wasn't beautiful, and I could see where people saw him scary enough to compare him to Jack the Ripper. He had a set of jaws on him and a snarl that made one's skin crawl.

"A sweetheart, eh?" I pondered out loud.

"Yes. Here, I'll show you." She said.

And she moved to open his cage. I took a couple steps back, and away from the open door. He padded out and went up to Sam, growled, and licked her hand.

He continued to lick her and I looked on with awe.

"Jeez, it's like he's making out with you," I pointed out.

"Like I tell people, he's not a fighter at all..." She said.

"He's a lover," I finished the thought for her.

She looked at me and laughed.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. Would you like to pet him?" She asked.

I became hesitant. Pet Jack the Ripper? That's like asking a surfer to ride on a shark's back or something....no thank you. But I noticed the pleading look in Sam's eyes and the way her love for Jack emulated from her.

"You can trust me," She said softly.

I knew I could.

So I stepped forward and my hand went towards Jack. He grumbled a low growl and my hand hovered over his nose. Samantha nodded to encourage me, and I slowly made my way down to where my hand made contact with the fur on the top of his head. He looked up at me, and I noticed his eyes were a deep brown color, a comfortable color, a familiar color. My mind shifted to Caleb, whom I hadn't seen since the day of the call backs and the destructive record store trip.

On the outside, and even on the inside a little, he was tough as nails and scary, like old Jack here. But sometimes, just below the surface, one could scratch deep enough and find something else...like compassion.

"Everyone that comes in here refuses to even consider adopting him. I would, but my mom is allergic to dogs." She said sadly.

I nodded and continued to look down at Jack.

I  also thought about what Samantha had said.

"You can trust me."

And I had already known I could.

"I think I might be into guys, you know?" I said, awkwardly and with a blush.

Other than Caleb, who I had told when I was high, Samantha was the only person that I had even mentioned my possible gayness to.

She looked surprised for a moment, and then understanding filled her eyes.

"Okay," She said.

"Okay?" I asked.

She gave a small smile. "I won't lie, I'm fairly shocked, and disappointed. I'm starting to like you and all, but I'm your friend too and I'm here for you," She said.

"Oh, well I guess I kind of knew you liked me, a bit anyway. Damn," I said.

She looked at me questioningly.

"I just discovered I might be gay not that long ago. I've gone years trying to find a great girl, and a perfect one lands at my feet, after the fact," I said.

Samantha blushed, her signature move. "I'm not perfect."

"So it's agreed, I'm not perfect, you're not perfect, but damn I wish I really felt for you that way. Everything would be so much easier, and everyone would be happy," I said thoughtfully.

She took my hand in hers. "It's okay Aiden, really. I'm just glad to have you as a friend. I'll back you up whether you're straight or gay. It doesn't matter to me."

I squeezed her hand back.

"Yeah, I hear ya. I just hope I can get everything figured out soon. Things are starting to feel a little complicated." I admitted.

Boy, I sure as hell didn't know just how complicated things could, and would, get.