Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Aiden-

It didn't take me long to catch up with Caleb down the hallway, after seeing Sam off to her locker. I watched him walk for a moment, and realized the effect he had on people. They seemed to scoot off to the side and make way for him in the halls when they saw him coming. Did they respect him? Were they scared of him? Could be either one. In some cases, a mixture of both feelings is what I saw in their eyes.

Caleb had only been here a month. But he sure was making impressions, and quite the name for himself. I made my way to him and grabbed the back of his shirt. I saw his shoulders tense, and he whirled around, a snarl on his face. He looked completely on guard. Ready for anything. But I also noticed something else. In his eyes was a look of unadulterated....anger? Rage, more like it. It looked, dare I say, uncontrollable. And it scared me.

He noticed it was me fairly quickly, and his face softened. But he knew what I had seen and he still looked guarded.

"Gorgeous," He acknowledged me.

I looked sideways at him.

"Didn't I say not to call me that stuff in public?" I asked.

"And didn't I point out that that means it's okay in private?" He asked, dropping his guarded expression to make way for a full on smirk.

I glared. "C'mon Caleb."

"What?" He asked, a carefree look still on his face.

"We need to talk," I said, choosing my words carefully.

"About what? Oh, don't tell me you're breaking up with me!" He said in mock-horror.

I could feel my face grow hot. I looked around, but no one seemed to be paying any special attention to us.

"It's cute when you get angry-embarrassed. You care so much what other people think," He said, rubbing my shoulder.

"And you don't care enough," I complained, shrugging him away.

"Aw, come on, don't be like that," He said, a fake pouty face taking over.

I rolled my eyes.

"Can you not take one thing seriously?" I demanded to know.

He shrugged. "I take a lot of things seriously. You don't even know serious." He said darkly.

He turned and started walking away.

"Ugh, what does that even mean?!" I huffed.

"We'll talk at rehearsal," He said, waving me off.

I fumed. He can just march up to me anytime and get exactly what he wants. Oh, but if I do it, no dice. I see how it is.

I continued down the hall and onto my next class. In there, unfortunately, I had the brightest of the bright twins, Tollins and Rutherford.

Rutherford looked like a guy who had just had the word Fucker keyed into the side of his expensive truck. Probably because it had, in fact, happened. Tollins seemed to share his anger. They both looked pissed as fuck. Just yesterday, I had been Rutherford's punching bag. I didn't want the same role today. I tried to inconspicuously take my seat. It's hard when I'm at the table next to them.

Rutherford turned his ghastly glare onto me. "It was you, wasn't it?"

My eyes widened, I'm sure.

He got up from his table and stood in front of me. Looking down at me with beady eyes. Lots of angry people today. Must be something they're serving  in the cafeteria.

"I rough you up a little and you trash my truck? Huh?" He said.

I opened my mouth. He didn't give me a chance.

"After you steal away that worthless whore?"

I stood up real fast. I had never been so angry, so quickly. I felt sick to my stomach. I could feel the bile rising up in my throat.

"Don't you talk about Ashley that way!" I yelled, causing everyone else in the room to focus their attention on us.

"You gonna stick up for the little bitch now? When you were too pussy-whipped yesterday to do shit to even defend yourself?" He said, an angry pulse throbbing on his neck.

"Go fuck yourself," I spat, lunging at him across the table.

"Yesterday ain't nothin compared to what I'm gonna do to you now!" He yelled, hopping out of my way.

"How about another black eye to match?" He offered.

I lunged across the table once again, my arms entangling around Lance and sending both of us crashing to the ground. He rolled on top of me. I kneed him in the groin as hard as I could.

He slumped off of me and I sat on him, grabbing up his collar in my hand. I brought back my fist to pound it in his face.

"Don't talk about her like that!"

A hand grabbed my fist, preventing me from hitting Lance. I looked up to see Coach Danvers holding me back, Mr. Holden behind him, and Principal Hartman beside him.

I was royally screwed.

I found myself sitting in the Principal's office.

"Expel him!" Coach Danvers was insisting.

"Now, now, I've never had any disciplinary problems with Aiden Gray before," Principal Hartman pointed out.

"I'm tired of this shit! Him and that new punk keep causing grief for my players, and it's football season!" Danvers yelled, his volume level rising.

"Well, Coach, maybe-" Hartman started.

"And all of this mayhem started with that Snider shit. As soon as he showed up, everything went to hell!"

"Now, Jim."

"No! I want him out of here Principal Hartman. I won't rest until that punk gets what he deserves."

All this as if I weren't in the room in front of them in an uncomfortable blue chair.

"I'm not waiting around for the little shit to blow up the school. Get rid of him, Principal," Coach Danvers said, resting his case and storming out of the office.

Danvers really was protective of his players. And really, really, hated Caleb.

Principal Hartman sank down into his chair and sighed, rubbing his wrinkled forehead.

"You may go, Mr. Gray," He said pointedly.