Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Aiden-

"Hey, Lover boy," Nikki said in a low tone, a smirk on her face.

What did she know? Was she implying that I was into guys or something? Maybe she knew I liked Simon...or even Caleb?

"What are you on?" I demanded, keeping my guard up.

Simon came up and stood next to Nikki, throwing an arm flippantly over her shoulder and raised his eyebrow at us.

"What's going on, kids?" He said, a teasing light in his eye.

"I was just letting Aiden here know that everyone else is aware of his new love interest, even though he tried to hide it so hard," Nikki said, crossing her arms across her tight black t-shirt that was ripped every which way.

My palms started to get sweaty. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Aiden, there's no use trying to hide it anymore," said Simon.

I gulped and looked at him, meeting his ocean blue eyes.

Simon leaned in, still with his arm around Nikki.

"I know," he said quietly.

He knew? Of all people, Simon had to know? I should be the one to tell him, I reckon. If I had ever gotten around to it. But instead he had found out some other way. Like this? Come on!

I tried to think of how to respond.

"You could have just told us," Nikki said, and Simon nodded his head in agreement.

"Told you?" I was able to squeak out.

"I know you probably thought we wouldn't understand, but we're your friends. Hell, I'm your best friend. You can tell me anything," Simon said, pushing his longish blond hair off of his brow.

It was Nikki's turn to nod her head in agreement.

I slumped my shoulders forward. "You're, you're right," I said slowly.

"Yeah, if you wanna love the skank, be my guest," Nikki said.

My eyes widened. Skank?

Simon gave Nikki an impatient look.

"What?" she said, throwing up her hands.

He gave her another look. You know the kind.

Nikki grimaced. "Right, she's supposed to be my friend now. What I mean is I still love you man, even if you do wanna be with her," Nikki corrected herself with the help of Simon's "look".

Okay, now I was just plain confused. What the hell?

"What are you saying?" I asked.

Simon sighed and then gave a half smile. "We're saying that it's cool that you're in love with Ashley."

Whoa!

"Ashley?" I croaked.

He nodded. "I just wish you would have at least told me. You didn't have to keep it as this big secret."

"Oh." I couldn't find anything else to say as we all turned to look out past the curtains of the backstage and out onto the main stage where Ashley stood, practicing a scene with Samantha. Her wavy blonde hair cascaded down her back as she moved gracefully across the stage. I had to admit she was beautiful.

They thought I was in love with her?

They must have noticed the confused look on my face because Nikki laughed.