Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Aiden-

Tammy sauntered into the kitchen to start frying up something. And Jenna followed after her.

"Your moms are really nice," I said, it sounding odd as it came from my mouth.

Caleb seemed a little on edge at the moment, as if I were overstaying my welcome or something. He didn't like me in his house with his family too. He seemed almost uncomfortable by the whole situation.

"If you want me to leave, I will," I said, feeling rather uncomfortable myself.

He did not reply, instead he flipped on the TV. I entered the kitchen, where Jenna was pouring pancake batter and Tammy was frying up eggs on the stove.

"I hope you like breakfast for dinner, Aiden," Tammy said, a happy smile on her face.

I couldn't help but smile back. This woman had a smile that was contagious.

"I've never tried breakfast for dinner, but it sounds great," I said honestly.

"Good to hear. It won't take long now, only a few minutes," Jenna, the seemingly more quiet but still friendly of the two, said.

"Is there a place where I can wash up?" I asked, my hands dusty from working with the hardly used lights on the stage at rehearsal.

"Sure, upstairs, first door on your left," Tammy said, turning back to be attentive to her eggs.

I roamed up the stairs and into the bathroom which was rather plain. I had to take a piss and then I washed up my hands, inspecting how I looked in the mirror. My eyes were no longer bloodshot and not so swollen from crying. I felt like an idiot for how I had looked to Caleb.

When I exited the bathroom, I saw a door across the hall, closed. A part of me wanted to look inside. Apart of me figured that it was Caleb's room. And I was right.

Inside, it was dark, for the blinds were closed. What little light was streaming in revealed quite a mess. Some clothes littered the floor and his bed sheets were a dark shade of blue that was almost black. Nothing personal hung on the walls. There was only a stereo with a stack of CD's beside it on a dresser. It wasn't a total pigsty per say, but it was definitely one of the most disorganized rooms I had ever seen.

I found myself stepping further into the depths of the room. To his nightstand. I hesitated as I reached out to open the top drawer. Dare I? But it had only a Swiss pocket knife, a couple dollars in cash, and a bag of what I knew was pot. The second drawer held bottle caps. I was both confused and intrigued. Bottle caps. They were all beer bottle tops, and I wondered if maybe Caleb had a drinking problem along with his drug habit? But why only keep the tops?

I closed the drawer quickly as I heard footsteps, and I turned around just as Caleb entered the room. He looked at me with shock first, as if he could not imagine that I would be even smart enough to find his room. Then his look grew furious.