Chapter Twenty-Seven (Dedicated to fallingfromheaven)

Dedicated to fallingfromheaven, who we should all thank for this amaaaaazingly sexy book cover! Thank you so much!

___________________________________________________________

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Aiden-

I sat like that in the auditorium for a few minutes, revelling in self-pity and feelings of shame and guilt. Then, I got up and walked out of the theatre, feeling like absolute shit.

Once exiting the double doors, I saw quite a few people had left. But another few, like Simon, Ashley, and Nikki all remained, standing around and talking by their cars. Ashley seemed to be looking around, probably for me.

I did not want to deal with her right now, like this. Especially after the confrontation I just had with Sam. And the fact that I didn't know what the hell I was feeling. I didn't want to see Nikki or Simon either, and have them quiz me on my "relationship".

"You know, you don't have to go over there," A deep voice said.

I jumped a little and looked over to where Caleb was leaning against the brick wall of the school. One knee was propped back against it, and his arms were crossed across his chest.

"Yeah, I do," I said with a sigh.

He shook his head. "No, you don't. You can do whatever the hell you want."

"But if I don't go over there then-"

"If you don't go over there then they'll probably wait around a few more minutes, realize you're not coming, and leave." He said.

"But I-" I started.

"You can do like I always do. Just run away," Caleb said, a bitter smirk on his lips.

I sighed. "But my car is over there by them."

"Which is why we're taking my truck," He said, earning a defeated sigh from me.

I lost that fight before it even began.

We went to the other side of the parking lot, far on the other end, and I climbed into the passenger side of his big black truck.

He immediately revved and backed out of his spot, causing me to try and hurry to find my seat-belt. With Caleb, you can never be too safe, I had learned.

We sped out of the parking lot.

I don't know where we ended up exactly, but I knew it was somewhere on the north side of town. Up on a big hill looking down on the town is where Caleb parked, and together we got out and sat on the hood of his truck. I stretched out my arms and legs, trying to wake myself up after all the drama.

I looked over at Caleb. His face was sharp edges in the dank moonlight. He was looking up at the stars. And so I looked too.

"Do you ever wonder why there's so many of them?" He asked softly.

I looked over at him questioningly. "Why there's so many stars?"

He nodded.

"No clue," I stated, staring up at them.

They really were quite miraculous. All high up in the sky, and twinkling, sparkling down as if just for us.

I looked over at Caleb, surprised to see his head turned toward me.

"Do you ever just want to escape? To leave?" He asked.

"To leave Springfield?" I questioned.

He shrugged.

"To leave everything. To leave the world."

This kind of talk sounded eerily familiar. It reminded me of something...Something he had said before....something I had dreamed about.

His eyes were dark and bottomless in the moonlight, and I found myself edging closer to him to stare into them more.

"Just to escape," He said dreamily.

Our faces were so close at this point. I was drawn to him. I could feel his soft breath against my cheek.

He leaned his head slightly closer to mine, just the tiniest bit.

My eyes were now focused on his lips.

"From everything," He repeated, his words making his lips brush mine.

And from that moment on, our mouths connected. His lips were smooth and hot on mine. It was one slow and connected kiss.

I was scared. I had never kissed a guy before. Well, I hadn't kissed anyone before that night I guess...But mostly I was in bliss. It felt amazing, his hot mouth on mine.

It was entirely different from my kiss with Ashley.

I didn't want it to end.