Chapter Thirty-Seven

Aiden -

I picked Ashley up at her house, pulling up in my silver Nissan. I got to the door, and she answered. She looked really nice. She was dressed a little differently than usual. Maybe she did something different with her hair. I don't know. I asked her where she wanted to go.

She frowned a little. It almost seemed like she was disappointed I didn't have some romantic plan already. Man, I'm already bad at this whole dating thing.

"Oh, um, I like that Italian place down by the pier? With the really good chocolate-covered strawberries," She suggested.

"Bartolini's? That sounds great. Let's go," I said.

We got into my Nissan, and it wasn't until I started the engine that I realized I probably should have held open the car door for her as she got in. Again, my bad. Hey, in my defense, I'm a total noob.

We drove to the restaurant in semi-uncomfortable silence. I think there was still some tension in the air about me ditching Ashley after our first kiss. I knew we would probably have to talk it out, but I didn't know where to start.

The thunder storm started just as we pulled up to the restaurant. I parked, and then I said, "Oh, shoot. I should have pulled up to the entrance for you so you could have gotten out without being soaked. Here, let me-"

"Oh. That's okay. I'm fine, really," She said.

We ran to the door, and we were both soaked by the time we got inside. The host looked at us with momentary disdain before he asked, "Just the two of you?"

I nodded.

We got a seat by the window, overlooking the water. It would have been a whole lot nicer if it weren't pouring down out there. Ashley tried to ring out her hair a bit. When that didn't work, she just tossed it over her shoulder.

"So..." She started.

"So..." I said.

Usually, Ashley and I could talk so easily together. But the date setting made it seem...restricted. Especially when I wasn't even sure how I had ended up on the date in the first place. I had approached Ashley after rehearsal to explain to her about my weird internal conflicts lately, not take her on a romantic outing.

The waiter brought us some bread and olive oil. I tried not to make a mess with the crumbs as I ate.

"Rehearsal went well today. I can't believe we're performing in a week," I said.

Ashley smiled. "I know, right? You know, I hated the fact that I didn't get the lead a month and a half ago, but now I love the part of Glinda." She stated.

I smiled genuinely.

"I think I have you to thank, in part, for that," She added.

I looked at her questioningly.

"You've been great about coaching me how to be more...normal, I guess, for lack of a better word. I don't need to have the lead in every play, and I am contributing in a great way. I am content, and I don't feel like I have to control everything now," She said.

I laughed. "Yeah, now that's Holly's job."

She laughed too, and the ice was officially broken.

We both shared our meals with one another. She got the linguine and I got the angel hair pasta. Leaving with our stomachs stuffed, she invited me to hang out at her place for awhile.

"My parents are out. Like always," She said, semi-bitterly.

We headed back to her place, and once inside she said she was going up to her room to change. I went to the bathroom; most of my clothes were dry at that point.