Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Aiden-

"Oh my god, we're doing Wicked!" I heard Nikki exclaim as we entered the auditorium.

"What's a Wicked?" I asked, totally clueless.

"It's like the best musical EVER. I went to see it when I went to Columbus and oh my god, it was amazing. It's like a Wizard of Oz spin off about the witches, you know?" She said.

"Yeah, I've seen the Wizard of Oz, Sheesh," I said.

"Oh, the ending made me cry; it was so happy," Nikki said.

I looked at her oddly from the corner of my eye. Nikki Havens isn't really the musical type...nor the crying type. She stiffened at my look.

"You ever tell anyone and I will hit you in the knee caps with a 9-iron," She scowled with a menacing look.

"I won't! I swear," I said, a teasing lilt to my voice.

We took seats with some of the other kids who were there to audition. I saw Sarah and Samantha and Lance and Corbin....Wait, Lance and Corbin?! They wouldn't be caught dead trying out or being in the musical. So why were they here? Had Ashley really recruited them and succeeded or were they here to support Sarah and Ashley? I mean, Corbin's with Sarah, and Ashley and Lance were one of those occasional on and off couples.

"Okay, let's get started. Let's get some readers up for the opening scene." Ms. Tavern, the drama teacher, said.

Ms. Tavern is a total...I wanna say hippie, but that's not the correct term. She wore bright, flowy clothing and her hair was a wild and graying brown curly mess. She wore large glasses and was always talking about "finding your inner self." Whatever that means. Gypsy, yeah... maybe that's a good word for her. No? Well, you can tell she's a drama teacher, how about that?

"I need a Glinda for this scene," Ms. Tavern said, looking around expectantly.

That's when Ashley entered the auditorium with a casual looking Caleb following right behind her. I heard Lance swear something. I was about to swear too. Ashley late to an audition? And late with someone like Caleb? What had they been doing anyway? Probably nothing good, that's for sure.

"I'll do Glinda," Ashley said, scurrying up to the stage.

"Okay...." Ms. Tavern said.

Caleb came and slunk into a blue seat behind me. "Miss me?" He teased, pulling on my slightly long brown hair.

I rolled my eyes and turned to watch the audition process. Honestly, I don't know why I was here. Like, at all. I guess because Caleb volunteered us was the only reason Nikki and I had shown up. But as I looked over to Nikki, she was studying the script intently. I guess she was more into it now because it was a musical she liked. So I was alone in my feeling. Well, except for maybe Tollins and Rutherford. They looked like they were about to die of boredom. There wasn't a short cheer-leading skirt or football in sight and I guess that messed up the little brain function they had. Lance was sleeping. Corbin was trying to balance a pencil on his nose.

I looked back at where Caleb sat and I saw him staring up at the stage. To where Ashley was. Really? I guess he really wasn't into guys after all. Why did this almost upset me?

I went up to read for the part of the wizard. It went all right. Actually, I suck at acting. I would be lucky to get the part of a munchkin. If any at all.

Caleb read the part of Elphaba's, the wicked witch of the west's, love interest, Fiyero. He was actually pretty good. But I doubt he was an aspiring actor, so why were we all auditioning?

"Alright, who all would like to audition for the part of Elphaba?" Ms. Tavern asked.

It was at this time that nearly all the girls, including Nikki, Samantha, and Ashley, raised their hands. I mean, Elphaba is the lead role, but jeez that was a lot of hands!

They all did fairly well. I mean, Nikki did all right. She's not exactly an actress. Ashley, of course, did stunningly. But it was Samantha that surprised me. I mean, she was perfect for the beginning role of quiet and slightly nerdy Elphaba.

It was a long afternoon and it wasn't until nearly six when it was all over. Everyone was tired. That is, except for the girls who all seemed to be animated and fired up. They all wanted the good parts. Us guys? Well, we didn't really care so much.

"Alright, call backs are tomorrow afternoon. I shall see nearly all of you then," Ms. Tavern said.

She looked more hay-wired than anyone.

I headed out to the parking lot, and called goodbye to Nikki and Samantha. Over by where I parked, Ashley was in her little white convertible, trying to get it to start.

"Aw hell," She said after the fifth time of listening to her engine stall.

I can't believe I was about to say this, but....

"You need a lift home?"