Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Aiden-

It was opening night. The curtains were ready to be drawn. The show would start in fifteen minutes.

"Where's Fiyero?! I need my lead!" Ms. Tavern squealed, running around with Caleb's costume in her hands.

Surprise, surprise. Caleb was going to mess this up for everyone. I was so frustrated. Didn't he care about anyone but himself?

Samantha, Nikki, and Ashley were huddled around, finishing up their makeup and looking sick to their stomachs. I walked over to them.

"Don't worry, I'll go find him," I said, a determined set to my jaw.

I went out into the hallway, right outside the auditorium. I ran smack dab into Simon.

"Where's the fire?" He asked.

Things had still been off between us. We didn't talk like we used to. I still had yet to tell him about how I like guys. I knew I had to tell him. I was running out of options. Rutherford, after next week's Homecoming game, would be less inclined to keep my little secret. Besides, everyone who mattered (and some who didn't) already knew about me. What was I so afraid of?

Actually, I knew exactly what I was afraid of...Simon being able to see that I have had feelings for him and him freaking the fuck out about it. I couldn't bear the thought of losing my best friend, even if I hadn't been that great of a friend to him lately.

"Caleb is AWOL," I stated, coming out of my thoughts.

Simon huffed and rolled his eyes.

"Figures," He muttered.

"Yeah, it's kind of all he's good for," I found myself saying, hoping to connect back with my friend on something. Simon seemed to approve of my small slam against Caleb, but I immediately tasted regret on my tongue.

Just then, Caleb rounded the corner, casually striding up to us. I wondered if he had heard what I had said. My heart started beating faster.

"We've got a show to do, boys. What are you doing dilly-dallying out in the hallway?" He said, without meeting my eyes and walking right past me into the auditorium which was filling up with students, parents, and teachers.

"Well...here goes nothing," Simon said.

I walked with him backstage, and we set up the switches for the lights for the first scene.

"At last, Wonder Boy has arrived," Holly barked from outside the tech booth as she walked in.

I was relieved that Caleb had shown up. The girls looked less sickly now that the lead was here as well. I wondered about the football game and dance the following weekend. Would Caleb show up to that as well? Why did I even care?

"Alright, look for your cues," Holly directed sternly.

I shifted in my seat and focused on the stage. The curtains started to lift. Simon centered the spotlight on the center stage. I flipped a switch to cue the opening sounds.

"Yeah," I said, "here goes nothing."