Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Caleb-

High school. It's always the same, no matter where you go. Jocks with over-sized egos, chicks with sticks up their asses, and, of course, the socially awkward bunch. But I don't give a fuck about any of them. Like I said, it's all the same, anywhere you go. Especially the way news travels. When shit goes down, it takes approximately two point five seconds for it to get to everyone.

"Did you hear Aiden Gray got punched out by Lance?"

"Yeah I heard there was a blood puddle on the floor."

"I heard it was because Aiden was like groping Ashley's ta-tas!"

"I wish I coulda got a chance to grope Ashley's ta-tas..."

"I heard he got her pregnant."

"Well, I'm pretty sure he got taken to the hospital."

What the fuck? That little shit Rutherford has been a cactus in my ass ever since I got here. He's always had a problem with me, and apparently Aiden too. Now, I'm not the kind of person who can let this shit go. Not this.

I grabbed the kid next to me with brute force, gripping his upper arm. He looked scared shitless. A freshman by the looks of him, with a bad acne problem. You know the kind. The one that looks like he's got red craters on his face. It's like landing on the effing moon. Behind his unruly hair were his eyes that were looking all around him, as if praying to find an escape route.

There is no escape from me.

"Rutherford beat up Aiden Gray?" I demanded confirmation.

He nodded his head vigorously. I let go, pushing him to the side in the process.

I've had enough of this shit, and it's about time someone did something.

I headed out of the school, into the parking lot.

Simon-

"Simon!" Nikki yelled at me from down the hall.

I turned to smile at her, but when I saw her with Ashley Blake, I became more than a little confused. If Nikki can help it, she never comes within breathing distance of the Ice Queen, whose tiara always figuratively seemed too tight for her inflated head.

"What's going on?" I asked, curious as to what could possible make Nikki be clutching Ashley's arm in a way that looked like she wasn't hurting her, but holding on for support.

"It's Aiden-" Nikki started.

"It's all my fault! I was, and then Lance...I should have known, I should have stopped him..." Ashley blurted out.

Wait a second. Was Ashley crying? Her eyes looked puffy, and her face was red and splotchy. Her makeup, whether it was that eyeliner stuff or mascara, was running down her face a little. Had she really been crying? Was she capable of tears?

"Wait, Aiden? What the hell happened?" I demanded to know.

"Lance punched him so many times, and he got knocked out. He's in the nurse's office," Nikki said, obviously a bit more composed than Ashley.

As soon as I heard where he was, I started walking as fast as I could to where I knew the nurse's office to be, on the second floor down the science wing. I knew that Ashley and Nikki were following close behind me.

He was the only one in the little white room, lying on a cot that was a puke green color. His eyes were closed. His left eye was already swelled greatly.

"Well shit," I muttered.

I took a seat in the little metal chair next to his cot and put my head in my hands, rubbing my forehead a little.

It was not like Aiden was going to die, or anything. But all I could think about was that the last time we spoke I had said some really shitty things to him that I didn't mean. I had immediately regretted saying those things afterward, but now more so.

Makes me feel like a crappy friend. We've been inseparable since freshman year. I couldn't let such little stuff get between us. Like fights that seem so pointless the next day.

Aiden's right eye opened, and he groaned.

I heard Ashley gasp in relief. Oh brother.

"God, my head feels like it's been hit by a truck," He mumbled.

"Well, something with the thinking skills of a truck," I said before I said, "How you feeling otherwise?"

He turned his head to look at me with his good eye. "Like shit."

I laughed and rubbed his shoulder. "I'll bet."

He laughed too. It was good to not have any animosity between us. The situation kinda sucked, but what can you do?

Ashley rushed to his side and started ranting apologies.

"I'm so so so  sorry, Aiden. He never would have hit you if I hadn't been so close to you and talking to you," She said in a rush.

I stepped back to let them talk. Aiden's good eye met mine and they said everything he didn't. That the fight was forgotten. I left the room, knowing I'd come back later, with a smile on my face that I couldn't get rid of.