Chapter Nineteen.

Sameerah's POV

*
"Where's my veil? It was just here minutes ago"

"Please who has seen my matte maroon huda beauty lipstick?"

"Ya Khadeejah Umma is calling you."

The house was bustling with so much activities. Everywhere was littred with empty drink bottles and cans, take away packs and plastic spoons.

Today the walima was going to take place before the daurin aure.
My room was basically filled up with people, mostly kids which really irked me because the room keept getting messy no matter how much I tried to clean up.

And the warning and long talks I got from some of my aunts were of no help. I mean who said simply because I was going to be married today meant I couldn't sweep and mop ? And lord knows how I was always looking forward to doing that because it helped me get my mind off certain thoughts. As they say, an idle man is a devils workshop.

I couldn't seem to wrap my mind around the fact that I was going to be married in less than 4 hours today. No matter how hard I tried,it still seemed surreal to me.
Like I? Sameerah Mahmud? Getting married?

Ikon Allah kenan.

*
I never knew the gyaran jiki sessions and also being a bride would be this stressful. Having to seat in one place, behaving all shy around people and having your head bowed down at all times, that's just the worst. That's me being so totally Not
Me.

"Ya Samee your phone has been ringing since"

Ameenah brought me out of my reverie. I checked the caller ID and saw that it was no one other than Alex. Of course. I had totally forgotten about him. I'm sure he doesn't even know I'm getting, and today, as a matter of fact.

I didnt really know if picking up his call was a right thing to do but since I wanted to confirm if he had really converted, I decided to answer his call with a Salam.

"Assalamu Alaikum"

"Waalaikis salam" came his reply. And an involuntary smile spread across my lips.

Alhamdulillah Alex was now a convert. But I'm sure he wouldn't be using the same name so I decided to ask him what his new name is.

"So. I know you're fine I'm guessing. So what's your new name?"

"Umar. Umar Farouq."

"Okay Alhamdulillah. So i dont know if you know but,I'm getting married today."

"What!?"

Yeah as expected

"Um. To Faysal, my cousin"

"Wow Sameerah. I'm really surprised. And you couldn't even call me to tell me earlier? You kept leading me on making me think I actually had a chance with you. I kept shutting out ladies just for you. Because I thought we could one day be 'a thing'. But I guess I was wrong."

"Ale-- I mean Umar, I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. I tried to tell you but I knew you would react this way..I'm really sorry"

And I hung up.

*

"Sameerah the malama has arrived. Are you ready yet?" Khadeey came practically walk-running to my room.

"Yeah I'm through Khadeey. Let's go. But shouldn't I be the last to go downstairs?"

"Yeah that's right"