Chapter Twenty-Two.

So here's a sweeter chapter for you guys! Hope you enjoy it! :D

**

Midge’s Point of View

The first thing I noticed was the pain.

Every inch of my body ached like it never had before, and I was extremely aware of the cold sweat that covered my forehead. I wanted to move, but I knew it would hurt too much. It seemed almost impossible. I couldn’t yell out—even without speaking, I could tell how sore my throat was. It was like I’d been screaming for hours.

As I racked my brains for some kind of explanation as to why I was suddenly so ill, I could not come up with a single thing. The last thing I remembered was leaving the Ouija board and coming upstairs. I’d fallen asleep practically as soon as my head hit the pillow, and after that, my mind was completely black.

The only thing that I could come up with was that I’d perhaps caught a chill—we’d turned the heating off along with everything else in order to make the house completely silent, so it was absolutely freezing. Judging by how ill I was, though, it seemed a little more than that.

Groaning ever so slightly, I tried to move just a little, shifting my body to the side as much as I could. It was then that I became aware of the feeling of someone holding my hand. Their palm squeezed mine, which only made my hand sore, and I groaned again.

“Guys,” Brian’s voice called, echoing through my ears, “I think she’s waking up.”

That just made me even more confused and slightly panicky. I tried my best to open my eyes as I heard multiple pairs of footsteps enter the room, but it was much harder than it seemed.

Eventually, my eyelids flew open and I stared through my blurry vision at everyone stood at the foot of my bed. Everyone except Brian, that was—he was the one sat next to me, holding my hand.

My gaze flickered down to our interlaced fingers and then up to his face. He stared back at me with a look of pure worry, but soon diverted his gaze, still keeping our hands joined. I looked back at the others, who were still silently staring at me, also looking worried.

“W...” I tried to speak, my sore throat making it hard for me to do so. “What’s going on?”

They said nothing for a moment, shuffling their feet and glancing at each other. I could feel the jumpy and tense feeling in the room, like they were expecting something to happen any moment.

“Take it easy.” Charlotte was the first to speak. “There’s some water there, if you want it.”

I turned my head to see the glass of water on the bedside table that she’d gestured to. Trying to sit up was painfully hard, and Brian had to help me, supporting my back as I sat up slowly. He reached over and grabbed the glass of water for me, then handing it to me.

“Thanks.” I managed to whisper, gulping down the water immediately. It hurt to swallow, but the cold liquid soothed my burning throat, that was for sure. Everyone silently watched me as I finished off the water, and Brian took the glance from my hand. “So, is anyone going to tell me what’s going on here?”

Again, they shuffled. It was beginning to get slightly irritating, because I couldn’t understand why they wouldn’t just come out and say it.

“Uh, Thomas has been at work again, Midge.” Linds said. “We think maybe...you were possessed.”

“What?” I immediately spat out, jolting slightly, which only caused me more pain. Brian instantly eased my body back, quietly telling me to stay calm. “I...I can’t...I mean...”