Chapter Twenty-Four

Midge's point of view

The minute Brian and I heard the shouts from downstairs, we knew the situation was just becoming worse and worse.

I sat up abruptly in bed, gripping the duvet tightly as my eyes widened. Brian looked just as alarmed as I did.

"Something's happened." I stated the obvious, immediately kicking the sheets off of me and attempting to climb out of the bed. Brian's hands quickly came down on my legs, pinning me down.

"You're not going anywhere." He sternly said, his expression darkening. I knew that was his way of getting his point across, because it intimidated me to no end.

"Brian, our friends!" I exclaimed.

"I don't-''

His words were cut off by the sound of footsteps practically stomping up the stairs and the murmur of talking in the hallway. Seconds later, the door burst open, revealing a frantic Linds and Jimmy. My eyes widened even more at the sight of Linds' blood-soaked shirt.

"What the hell happened?!" I kicked Brian's hands away, jumping off of the bed. I stumbled ever so slightly, but managed to steady myself enough to run over to Linds. "Are you okay?!"

"Thomas possessed Johnny and stabbed me in the shoulder." She answered, vigorously shaking her head. "But it's Charlotte I'm more worried about. She's gone back down there."

If possible, I became even more panic-stricken. My legs felt like they were about to give way, my head so dizzy that it looked like the room was spinning, and Brian quickly stood up to place his hands firmly on my shoulders.

"We need to get out of here, dammit!" He exclaimed, as if that had never been discussed before.

"Oh yeah?!" Linds angrily bit back. "And where do you suggest we go, Brian? I'm telling you, it's not the fucking house! It's Thomas! Wherever we go, he'll follow without a doubt."

"Linds, you need to keep calm." Jimmy stepped in front of her. "The baby. We need to think about our baby here! We need to get you to a hospital."

She shook her head vigorously. "Even if I thought that was a good idea, every door that leads to outside seems to be completely stuck. We can't get out."

There seemed to be a moment of silent then, as the four of us stopped to think about that and to see if there were any solutions. Just as Jimmy opened his mouth to speak again, a chilling scream came from downstairs. Immediately, we all knew it was Charlotte.

"Charles?!" I shakily exclaimed, ripping away from Brian and darting out of the door. I ignored his shouts after me as I forced my weak legs down the stairs and through the hallway. There seemed to be talking coming from the kitchen, and as soon as I got there, I saw why.

It wasn't Johnny this time.

It was Matt.

One of Matt's strong hands was firmly pinning Charlotte against the wall by her neck, while the other one held a blood-covered knife. Charlotte didn't appear to have any wounds or to be bleeding anywhere, so I could only guess that it was Linds' blood on the knife.

"Get away from her!" I yelled, not even caring about what could happen to me as I stormed over. Matt lifted the knife higher, not breaking his gaze from Charlotte as he spoke to me.

"Fuck off, Jasmine." He darkly said, edging the knife nearer to her throat. "I mean it. Stay out of this."

Charlotte gave a very slight whimper, her gaze directly meeting mine, and then darting to the door. I knew she was telling me to get out of the kitchen and just leave her to be met with whatever Matt was planning to do, but there was no way in hell I was going to do so.