Chapter Nineteen.

Midge's point of view.

It was absolutely freezing, I knew that much.

I was shivering from head-to-toe, the only thing warming me being the hot tears spilling down my cheeks. Each time I tried to calm myself, it just made it a hell of a lot worse.

It wasn’t fair. What had I done to deserve the way Brian had been treated me? I was seriously wishing that I could turn back time to when I moved here, and ignore him when he first spoke to me. That way, I would never had fallen in love with him, and I probably wouldn’t be sat here now, crying about how much he’d hurt me.

As I closed my eyes, the moment we’d met began to replay in my head. I remembered it so well, and it actually kind of hurt, but it was something I always felt the need to think about. It was my last grip on the Brian I fell in love with.

*

“You’re the new girl, right?” He’d said, his brown eyes staring into my green ones. “From England?”

Speechlessly, I nodded up at him, a small smile pulling up the corners of my lips. His grin widened as he stared down at me and his eyes surveyed my appearance.

“I’m Brian, by the way.” He said, holding out his hand.

“Midge.” I replied, accepting the handshake.

“Is that because you’re so small?” He chuckled. “You’re shorter than Johnny.”

“Johnny?” I frowned.

“One of my best friends.” He explained. “Speaking of which; you should come meet my friends. Have lunch with us.”

“I wouldn’t want to intrude, but, thanks anyw—‘’

“Come on, Tiny.” He interrupted, smiling at me and taking me by the arm. “You’re having lunch with us.”

“Tiny?” I raised my eyebrows.

“My nickname for you.” He winked, grinning again.

*

“What are you playing at?” A voice spoke from behind me, snapping me out of my flashback moment.

Whipping my head round, I came to the realisation that Brian had found me, as he stood staring at me from the top of the hill.

“Sitting.” I bitterly replied. “Shouldn’t you be on your date?”

“Yeah, I should be, actually.” He snapped. “And I was, until Linds interrupted and said you’d gone missing.”

“Where’s Linds now?” I looked around for her, not being able to see any signs of her. Even when I stared down to the bottom of the hill, I couldn’t see her waiting.

Brian weirdly shifted, hesitating slightly and opening and closing his mouth a couple of times.

“Sh...She’s at home with the others.” He eventually said. “I took her home before coming to find you.”

“Right.” I snapped. “Good for you. You can go back to Michelle now.”

“We’re going home.” He declared, grabbing me roughly by the arm and yanking me up.

“Ow! Get off of me!” I rubbed at my arm.

Of course, in typical Brian fashion, he simply rolled his eyes and began dragging me back down the hill. His grasp was too tight to struggle out of, so I just let him pull me into the woods, completely ignoring him.