Chapter Two.

One year later: Halloween 2011.

Midge's point of view.

As always, the chill in the Californian air never failed to surprise me.

Having lived here for three years now, I probably should’ve been used to the fact that October in California did actually get quite chilly, but the drop in temperature always seemed so sudden.

I sighed, staring at my reflecting in the mirror and adding yet another coating of mascara to my eyelashes. Part of me wanted to wipe all the makeup off and not bother, but I knew there was no chance of me doing that. For some reason, I still tried to look my best in front of Brian, and he’d be here soon.

I still wished that I had the strength to say no to him and refrain from giving into his lustful needs, but being in love with someone did crazy things to you. I was constantly faced with the reality that I wanted a relationship with him, and the only thing he wanted with me was sex. Brian didn’t do relationships. He didn’t do love.

I sighed at my thoughts, shoving the mascara brush back into its bottle and accepting the fact that my current appearance was as good as it was going to get. I guess I still looked the same. My face was a bit bonier, but I was still the small, pixie-like girl I always had been. Only, the spark that I used to have was gone, since the incident. We’d all changed, of course.

But killing someone could really change a person.

Except Brian. He didn’t seem effected by it at all. He was still his normal, cocky self.

As if right on cue, I heard the sound of my doorbell ringing downstairs. I turned the bathroom light off and dragged my feet through the hallway and down the stairs, going straight over to the door. As expected, Brian was stood on the other side of the door, looking like a god as always. He smirked and eyed me up and down, only one thing on his mind.

“Hey.” I greeted him, sending him a smile.

“Hey.” He answered back, obviously not interested in greeting me. He knew what he wanted, and he wanted it now. “Are you gonna leave me standing in the cold or invite me in?”

“Right.” I blinked, opening the door wider for him. “Sorry.”

He casually stepped into my house, kicking his shoes off of his feet and removing his leather jacket from his muscular body, then throwing it onto the kitchen island. I watched him in awe, eyeing his attractive chiseled face as he ran a hand through his black hair. When he realised I was checking him out, he smirked and stepped forward, grabbing hold of my waist.

“Wait.” I told him, removing his hands from my body. “I have a couple of things to do first.”

“Well be quick.” He replied. “The others will be here soon.”

Staring at him one more time, I nodded and went over to my kitchen counter, grabbing a bowl out of the one of the cupboards.

Sometimes, I really felt like yelling at Brian. I didn’t understand how he could be so...so normal. He’d been the one driving the car, and yet he was the most relaxed person out of the lot of us. I couldn’t even be excited for the horror movie marathon we were all having tonight. Simply because they were all coming over so that we could occupy our minds.

It’d been one whole year and the guilt was still wearing away at me.

“What are you doing?” Brian’s irritable voice asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.